Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can I use this CPU with this MB?

Old 01-23-04, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use this CPU with this MB?

Ok the CPU is a AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Here is the MB

http://www.tufshop.com/store/product1061.html

I have this CPU in my pc now and I only get 1.4 ghz from it and not the full 1.8 ghz speed. Thank ya for any help you can gave me.
Old 01-23-04, 04:40 AM
Suspended

The MB in the link runs VIA KT266A chipset, which is pretty old, from the AMD Tbird era. I don't even know if flashing the BIOS will help it support the newer XP Palomino CPU you have. You'll need at least a KT333 chipset mobo, but those are pretty buggy. If you're on a budget, the VIA KT400A mobos can be had for a little over $50 and up depending on options.
Old 01-23-04, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
The MB in the link runs VIA KT266A chipset, which is pretty old, from the AMD Tbird era. I don't even know if flashing the BIOS will help it support the newer XP Palomino CPU you have. You'll need at least a KT333 chipset mobo, but those are pretty buggy. If you're on a budget, the VIA KT400A mobos can be had for a little over $50 and up depending on options.
OHHHHHH you confused the hell out of me. OK what about this Motherboard M7VIW sorry I don't have a link to it but that is the name of it. I think this is the Motherboard.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=B450-2016

Thanks for your hlpe I find this stuff hard to understand I'm new to this shit. I may find the Motherboard but M7VIW is the model number.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 01-23-04 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 03:01 PM
Suspended

No, old mobo again, KT266A chipset. I can't believe those guys at tigerdirect charge so damn much for old stuff. Rip off.

Here's a directly link for a VIA KT400A mobo which newegg.com sells. The mobo's made by some no name company, but since you're on a budget it'll do.
Old 01-23-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

topdawg, if your system is running okay and your only problem is that your CPU is running at 1.4GHz instead of 1.8GHz you may not need to change your motherboard.

A somewhat common problem with Athlon systems is that the BIOS defaults to a low FSB clock setting (100MHz or 200MHz, they're actually the same, but some BIOS's will indicate it as 100MHz while others will indicate it as 200MHz).

Your CPU should be running at an FSB setting of 133MHz (or 266MHz) to perform at full speed. So check in your BIOS what your FSB setting is. If it's 100/200 MHz, set it to 133/266 and you should be fine.
Old 01-23-04, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by belboz
topdawg, if your system is running okay and your only problem is that your CPU is running at 1.4GHz instead of 1.8GHz you may not need to change your motherboard.

A somewhat common problem with Athlon systems is that the BIOS defaults to a low FSB clock setting (100MHz or 200MHz, they're actually the same, but some BIOS's will indicate it as 100MHz while others will indicate it as 200MHz).

Your CPU should be running at an FSB setting of 133MHz (or 266MHz) to perform at full speed. So check in your BIOS what your FSB setting is. If it's 100/200 MHz, set it to 133/266 and you should be fine.
I don't have that on my bios when a start up and hit delete I can't change voltage or anything is there some other way I can get into it? Hold on I just checked it and I forgot I updated my bios I can do that now I will try it.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 01-23-04 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-23-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You shouldn't have to change the voltages at all so I wouldn't worry about them. In the BIOS, there should be a screen for "Advanced Chipset Features" or something like that. On that page there should be settings for the CPU to control its multiplier and its FSB clock.

The only setting you should need to change is the FSB. It's probably on 100/200 and you should change it to 133/266. The settings may be grayed-out if the CPU setting is on AUTO instead of MANUAL (or something like that).
Old 01-23-04, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by belboz
You shouldn't have to change the voltages at all so I wouldn't worry about them. In the BIOS, there should be a screen for "Advanced Chipset Features" or something like that. On that page there should be settings for the CPU to control its multiplier and its FSB clock.

The only setting you should need to change is the FSB. It's probably on 100/200 and you should change it to 133/266. The settings may be grayed-out if the CPU setting is on AUTO instead of MANUAL (or something like that).
OK I got it at 1485Mhz now. I can get it to 1500Mhz but it locked up twice doing that so I'm going to leave it at this seeting. Also the pc maxed out at 1500mhz it own't go any higher. Thanks alot man you saved me money this is fast enouth for a few more months use without upgrading. I'll just get a whole new pc in a few months. Also you seem to know alot about pc's is hard to bliuld one if you never done it before? Thanks alot for your help it worked very good.