Reload this Page >

Are their outdoor network transmitters?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-22-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a customer that wants DSL in his house and his shop. His shop is about 300 ft from the house. I hooked up a Netgear MR814 router in his shop and took a laptop with a network adapter and walked to his house. The signal dropped to 10% just outside his house. Inside it was 0%. The shop is made of metal siding and I believe this might be the reason. So my question is do they make an outdoor antenna or anything that I can attach to the router and put it outside pointing to the house? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-04, 11:37 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes there are.
Old 01-22-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=36

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=35

This is probably what you really need:
http://www.dlink.com/products/antennas.asp

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 01-22-04 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-22-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could probably do a couple of pringles can antennas if he wants it cheap. If you need to shoot really long range, this looks pretty cool:
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/P...Primestar.html

Dave
Old 01-22-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks a lot for the info. How does this look??

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-008&depa=1
Old 01-22-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dave99
You could probably do a couple of pringles can antennas if he wants it cheap. If you need to shoot really long range, this looks pretty cool:
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/P...Primestar.html

Dave
Thats awsome! I doubt this guy would go for it though.
Old 01-22-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the cheaper stuff doesn't have a strong signal, Cisco sells higher end antennas.
Old 01-22-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a few caveats when working with WiFi antennas. One is that there is a variety of connectors that any device may use for the antenna connection. In fact, some consumer devices don't even have an external antenna jack. Whatever devices and antennas you choose, be sure that their connectors match.

Another is that antennas usually come with a very short pigtail cable. You can get extensions for them, but microwave signals attenuate very quickly on long cable runs. You'll want to keep the cable from the antenna to the AP as short as possible. In fact, in professional installs, a lot of time, the AP will be located in a weatherproof box attached to the mounting pole for the antenna.

Finally, I'm not sure how directional a panel antenna like the one you've linked is, but the antenna's that I've worked with are very directional and as such, pointing them correctly is very important. In fact, when you first hook it up, it may seem as if the antenna is not doing anything at all. You have to orient the direction (and polarization) of the antenna to get a strong signal.
Old 01-22-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
depending on the closeness of surrounding buildings or the nearest place where a car could park without raising too much suspicion be sure to have him run good security or he'll be getting a lot of bandwidth stolen
Old 01-22-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mikehunt
depending on the closeness of surrounding buildings or the nearest place where a car could park without raising too much suspicion be sure to have him run good security or he'll be getting a lot of bandwidth stolen
Well he lives out in the middle of the country so that isn't a concern. Unless I park next to his house and download a bunch of music.
Old 01-22-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by belboz
There's a few caveats when working with WiFi antennas. One is that there is a variety of connectors that any device may use for the antenna connection. In fact, some consumer devices don't even have an external antenna jack. Whatever devices and antennas you choose, be sure that their connectors match.

Another is that antennas usually come with a very short pigtail cable. You can get extensions for them, but microwave signals attenuate very quickly on long cable runs. You'll want to keep the cable from the antenna to the AP as short as possible. In fact, in professional installs, a lot of time, the AP will be located in a weatherproof box attached to the mounting pole for the antenna.

Finally, I'm not sure how directional a panel antenna like the one you've linked is, but the antenna's that I've worked with are very directional and as such, pointing them correctly is very important. In fact, when you first hook it up, it may seem as if the antenna is not doing anything at all. You have to orient the direction (and polarization) of the antenna to get a strong signal.
Thanks for the info. I found an AP with a removeable antenna and it matches the connection on the antenna. But your right the cable is very short. So I might have to build some type of inclosure for the AP next to the antenna. Does polarization mean the angle to the horizon? I've never used these before so I'll have a lot of experimenting before I deploy it in the field.
Old 01-23-04, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the antennas used in consumer WiFi gear have linear polarization. There are some antennas that have a circular polarization which is supposed to perform better in situations where there are problems with obstructions or multi-path interference. It doesn't sound like either of those are issues in your situation so I wouldn't concern myself about those.

Antennas with linear polarization have this characteristic where their sensitivity to one another will vary depending on their relative orientation towards one another. Even when a directional antenna is pointed optimally, you'll still want to experiment with rotating it along the axis of it's directionality.

You'll want to rotate it through about a 90° range and as you would when pointing it, you're basically looking for the position that gives you the best signal to noise ratio.