Reload this Page >

Video playing help please

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-21-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem playing divx video files on my computer now. Everything was fine until I had a problem with one file, and when I asked people what to do, they said to use ffdshow instead of divx. But ffdshow not only did not fix the problem, it in fact made all my other files have the same problem. The problem consists of video playing fine for a few seconds, then pixellating, video and audio getting out of synch and then ultimately crashing. My first instinct was to uninstall ffdshow, but that did not fix the problem. So I uninstalled Divx and xvid codecs and all my video players and reinstalled them and that did not fix the problem. So I uninstalled Divx and xvid codecs again and also uninstalled by ATI drivers and reinstalled them all. But that did not fix the problem either. So in essence, ffdshow has as far as I know mortally wounded my computer from playing videos. Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone know how to fix it?

As for my system, I am running Windows XP,
Video card: Radeon 9200
ATI catalyst: "wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-97-031212a-013118c.exe"
ffdshow WAS ffdshow-20031128.exe
Divx WAS DivX511Bundle.exe

Thanks for any help. I hope I don't have to reinstall windows. I just did not too long ago. I learned my lesson, always set a system restore point before changing video related software.

Last edited by Crazy Aoshi; 01-21-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you could try to go into the folder options, and go to the file type and delete ffdshow's association to avi's
Old 01-21-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info, but like I said, completely uninstalling ffdshow did not fix the problem. That did, I think, was to uninstall it, uninstall all divx and xvid, then reboot, install divx 5.11, then use media player classic. So in the long run, I've lost the use of all but one of my video players, but it saves me having to reinstall windows so I guess I'll call it good enough.
Old 01-21-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually when I have a program fubar my PC and uninstall doesn't fix it I do a system restore to the day before the problem started and that will fix it.

XP System Restore:
Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore> Restore From an Earlier Time> Choose Restore Date

Your PC will reboot and restore the registry and files from that date.
Old 01-22-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, thanks for the info. Will that only restore the registry, or will, say, files created or downloaded since then be deleted too?
Old 01-23-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When my friend has some trouble playing video, he tried the Nimo Codec Pack. I don't know if it will solve your problem, but you can try if you want. It's basically like an all-in-one codec pack. You'll probably have to uninstall any other codecs like divx and xvid before installing Nimo.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html
Old 01-23-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eh... I'm not a fan of the Nimo pack or other codec packs like it. Frankly, installing codecs willy nilly is what usually gets people into trouble in the first place. But, I guess if your system's already hosed, it can't hurt to try.

Last edited by belboz; 01-23-04 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-23-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
Ok, thanks for the info. Will that only restore the registry, or will, say, files created or downloaded since then be deleted too?

Generally the files you downloaded will be fine but any programs you installed from that date will need to be reinstalled. You can create a restore point before you rollback to another date just in case though.
Old 01-24-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a system restore to before I got ffdshow but the problem persists. Thanks for the suggestion though.