Reload this Page >

Using MiniDV Cam as Webcam?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I've posted this before, but is it possible to us my MiniDV video camera (linked to my PC through firewire) as a webcame to do video conferencing?
Old 01-20-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yes.

D
Old 01-20-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know how to do it? I wondered about this before, not for conferencing, but for messing around with just having a live feed straight to the HD.
Old 01-20-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ya, I really don't want to video conference either...... I actually want to start an adult site featuring a live feed from my computer

Derrich: ok, now for my second question.......How do I do it?
Old 01-20-04, 08:47 PM

Thanks to the wonders of windows 98SE,2000, and XP, your DV camera and a web cam are seen as essentially the same thing. They're just capture devices and all you need is the right driver. Since you've already got the DV camera hooked up, you obviously have the capture driver for it (MSDV or TI1394 or something like that).
Most windows apps that take video input use DirectShow drivers so all you have to do it set it to Windows Direct Show, put your cam on 'camera' mode (not VCR or Tape) and boom, you have video from your DV camera.

D
Old 01-20-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, I tried it, however, I didn't see the video in Netmeeting, yet when it started it said it was using a DV source.

Last edited by Joxer; 01-20-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the camera had to have that feature built in? In other words not all Mini Dv cams can act as webcams
Old 01-21-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My panasonic just plugs in via USB and voila appears as a cam. Open netmeeting go to tools/options/video tab make sure your cam is listed as an available camera in the drop down. Make sure camera is on. Should work, I dont know if all cameras support this? Oh and the only way to see yourself in netmeeting is to click the PIP box, under the viewing window.
Old 01-21-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I looked at the video tab and all of my options are greyed out (except the ones that have to do with incoming video. When I start Netmeeting with my camera pluged in and turned on, it asks me what I want to use as the video capture source. My options are "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" and "ATI Rage Theater Video Capture" I have an ATI TV Capture card which I'm assuming is the second one, and my camera would be the first one. But even when I select it my options are still greyed out. Also, this dialogue box only comes up when my camera is pluged in and turned on, so I know it's detecting my camera.

Also, when I open NM, it says that the directory server could not be found.
Old 01-21-04, 11:29 PM

I tried with Yahoo Messenger and it did not work also.
Old 01-21-04, 11:29 PM

My model was Canon PV 130 but different model number in US

Last edited by Kumar J; 01-22-04 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joxer
well I looked at the video tab and all of my options are greyed out (except the ones that have to do with incoming video. When I start Netmeeting with my camera pluged in and turned on, it asks me what I want to use as the video capture source. My options are "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" and "ATI Rage Theater Video Capture" I have an ATI TV Capture card which I'm assuming is the second one, and my camera would be the first one. But even when I select it my options are still greyed out. Also, this dialogue box only comes up when my camera is pluged in and turned on, so I know it's detecting my camera.

Also, when I open NM, it says that the directory server could not be found.
Sounds like your camera doesnt support being used as a webcam. What brand and model is it?
Old 01-22-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was able to do this before, but with a different program. TiVeo or something that sound like it I think. It was a free program online. Good framerate too.