Reload this Page >

Laptop upgrading question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-04, 02:25 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 2650 soon and have some questions as it was my first laptop.

Ram:

I have 256, would like to go to 512. The 256 is in two 128's. Problem is, only one is "user accessible." It's in an easy to get to spot under a little panel.

Does this mean the other 128 is permanent (i.e. on the motherboard or something) or will it just be somewhere else and can also be changed?

HD: I don't really want to replace my main drive and would prefer to add a second internal rather than an external as it would be slow as I only have USB 1.0 (no 2.0) or firewire. My floppy drive is removable, is it possible to put an HD in there? The floppy drive and bay are wider than the main HD.
Old 01-20-04, 04:55 PM

Generally that means the first 128 is soldered on, or something along those lines. The only way to really know for sure is to look, or talk to Dell - but you're probably looking at replacing one of the 128s with a 512, giving you 768. The other option would be to replace it with a 256, and have 384.

As for the second point - not a clue. Again, a quick call to Dell (or probably a visit to their website), or reading the manual should tell you if the floppy bay can be used for anything else.
Old 01-20-04, 06:20 PM
Retired

No can do on putting in a 512, it will only take 128's and 256's. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
The "inaccessible" module can be replaced by a Dell Authorized Service Center to get you 256MB, then put your own 256MB in the exposed slot for a total of 512MB. Sorry, I don't have a ballpark for the price.
Old 01-21-04, 04:14 PM
Retired

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
The "inaccessible" module can be replaced by a Dell Authorized Service Center to get you 256MB, then put your own 256MB in the exposed slot for a total of 512MB. Sorry, I don't have a ballpark for the price.
Thanks for the tip. I'll just try adding a 256 to get to 384 and see how that does. That should hold me off for a while.
Old 01-21-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can replace the "inaccessible" memory by popping off the keyboard. It's not terribly difficult. Check Dell's website -- they have (surprisingly) active message boards for each model for information on, well, anything related to your Dell.
Old 01-21-04, 04:25 PM
Retired

Thanks. For those wondering, the inaccessible memory under the keyboard is just a standard chip (i.e. same as the accessible one) and can be replaced.

Here's a link to the thread on the Dell forum.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=29052
Old 01-29-04, 03:54 PM
Retired

I got the ram from crucial monday and got it installed.

The one under the keyborad is a little tougher to get to than that dell thread suggests, as the link provided only tells you how to remove the keyboard.

You also have to take out the screws holding in the display plug and unplug it, and then take out 3 more screws holding a metal cover in place. Then the Ram is under it, and is indeed identical to the other ram socket.

So my laptop's maxed out at 512 MB now. I couldn't find anything about putting a HD in the floppy bay on their forums, so I'm guessing it's not possible. But I did back up a bunch of data I had on my HD and freed up about 4 GB's so it's not a big deal anymore.