Reload this Page >

Home Network Communication

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-04, 02:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having an issue with my home network setup. I have a desktop system that is hard wired into my wireless NetGear router and a laptop that connects wirelessly. The problem is that I cannot connect from one system to another through the actual computer names; I can only do it through the IP Address. The same goes for any shares I have setup and my printer which is also shared. When I ping the computer name, I get no response but when I ping the IP Address, it responds. Also, I am not able to net send from one computer to the next even when doing so directly to the IP Address.

I have confirmed a couple of things. First, the workgroup is setup the same on both my desktop and laptop system. Also, I have both setup with the default dns suffix search orders, etc.

Does anyone have any advice for me here? I am at a loss of what I can do next.

Last edited by chipncruz; 01-20-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check if you are running NetBIOS over TCP/IP. It should be...by default.

Inability to use computer names is due to lack of name server on the network...which is common for small networks like those at home. In the absence of a name server, computers will simply broadcast to do name resolution. This broadcast can only be done if your machine is running NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Old 01-20-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And as a workaround you can add the machine name and IP address to the lmhosts file on each PC. You should then be able to resolve the name, although it would be cheating.