Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Norton Internet Security & SysUtils?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-19-04, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read some comments here about Norton, mostly positive, though there are some negatives. I thought I'd raise the issue again and ask for opinions on these two products.

I seriously considering purchasing both, so I'd appreciate your comments.

thanx.
Old 01-19-04, 07:58 PM

If you have a single computer on your network then they will work fine.

If you have multiple computers and share data between them then I would not recommend getting Norton Internet Security.

I do network consulting and it has happened many times that a person will call me and say their programs are not working. I get onsite and have to disable their Norton Internet Security.

FWIW I believe you should do this at the hardware (router) level. Software firewalls are harder to configure and can cause lots of problems + take up resources on your PC.

Last edited by bberdine; 01-19-04 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 08:04 PM

FWIW I believe you should do this at the hardware (router) level. Software firewalls are harder to configure and can cause lots of problems + take up resources on your PC.
Hmmm. I always thought it was best to have both. I have a linksys router already. Do you have any general suggestions for configuring the firewall on it?

I thought I had already done what I should do, but am always ready to listen to ideas.

BTW, I would be using Norton Utils on one computer.
Old 01-19-04, 11:10 PM

Hmmm. I always thought it was best to have both.
Depends on your situation. If you are worried about anyone else on your network affecting you (for example a teenager downloading virus-laden software on Kazaa) then you might need a firewall on the PC itself.

General things to do -

1) on the router do not allow anything to come into your network. This is typical of a default installation on most SOHO devices. If you need to allow something in like www or email then just program those ports in.

2) make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. Newer firmware often plugs vulnerabilities that have been discovered.

3) on your PC make sure the administrator account has a password. If it is blank then you are highly exposed. Also make sure the guest account is disabled. You don't mention your OS but this is for XP and 2000.

4) go to Windows Update and load all critical updates.

5) have Anti-virus software installed and make sure it has updated definitions.

6) change the password on your router to something other than the default.

I am sure that there are more suggestions out there but I am just checking DVDTalk on a break from studying for a Cisco certification. If I think of any others I will post.
Old 01-22-04, 08:52 AM

I could have sworn I posted a thank you reply to your comments, but obviously not.

So, thank you, I appreciate the advice.

johnny
Old 01-22-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to hijack a thread but I have a related question about Norton IS. For some reason my iWon homepage and the DVDTalk site won't load properly. Any thoughts on what Norton has against these two sites?
Old 01-22-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Read my thread I started a few months ago.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=333047