Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

O.K. so let's talk Hard Drives! Need opinions.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

O.K. so let's talk Hard Drives! Need opinions.

Old 01-19-04, 04:57 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. so let's talk Hard Drives! Need opinions.

Hi ugys! I wanted to start a discussion about hard drives and what kind space we are currently up to now a days. I currently use a 60gig Maxtor drive. Have had it in my PC for like 3 years now(damn time flys!) At the time I bought it I was absolutely sure I would never fill it up, and thought purchasing this amount of space was beyond overkill.

Fast forward to 2004 and I'm running with 3 gigs left! Boy oh boy was I wrong! After countless smor(I'll let you figure that one out), mp3s, mpegs, jpegs, etc etc, I am nearly up to the brim in junk! I am gonna need a new hard drive soon and was wondering what the standard is these days? 80gig? 120gig? 150gig? 300gig? I have also seen people mention drives with something like a Terabyte of space! How much space is that exactly? 1000gigs? Can these terebyte drives be bought and installed in regular PCs like normal hard drives?

Also what is the price of a terebyte drive and who's the best manufacturer?

Next, I breifly remember hearing something a while back about a few places where you can buy online space and upload content forever? Can someone explain what that is all about and is it a better alternative to a standard hd?

What are some other storage alternatives? There was a thread somewhere a while back about a state of the art PC that uses memory as storage or some craziness like that, anyone remember? I definitely feel I am going to need over 500gigs.

The reason I want so much space is because I would like to digitally store my entire 500 CD catalog in a lossless format(ie NO mp3s!) I heard there are lossless formats but that they only shave off something like 40%-50% off a full WAV/PCM file. With over 500 CDs I estimate I am going to need at least 300 to 400 gigs of space to operate comfortably and be future proof. I am also thinking about going with an external drive, so that is where you guys come in.

And I don't know how much I can spend yet but I would say somewhere like a $300-$500 for some good storage.

Anyway what do you think?
Old 01-19-04, 11:50 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 420
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if it took you 3 years to fill up 60 GB, then I recommend a 120 GB drive. You should get one with 7200 rpm and an 8 MB cache.

When people say they have a terabyte, they mean add drives added together in one system (ie 4 x 250GB = 1000GB).

Online storage is good for backing up your data, since it is off site. God forbid you have a fire or theft, then you can still get your data. These services cost money though, and I don't know how much.

As for your CD storage project, get a couple of 250 GB drives (at least 7200 rpm and 8 MB cache). Look for sales and rebates to get the price down. If you are going to have all of these drives in one system, then you will need an IDE adapter, because your motherboard only supports 4 IDE devices (CDROM, DVDROM, burners, hard drives...).

Have fun!
Old 01-19-04, 12:51 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Bristol, CT USA
Posts: 1,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lacie has an interesting 1TB Bigger Disk. As RalphWiggum says, it's 4 x 250GB drives JBOD'd together for a very unreliable system (if 1 of the 4 disks fail you've lost all your data)!

I'd have to agree with RalphWiggum, though, and say just get a 120/160/200GB drive.
Old 01-19-04, 02:15 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,707
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your computer is three years old (did I understand correctly?)be aware there are size limits imposed. Likely, the largest drive your system can handle without a new controller card is 120 gig.
Old 01-19-04, 02:29 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
of course.. you can get around alot of these limitations by either updating your bios.. or installing the disk manager that comes with most large harddrives
Im not big on disk managers.. but they get the job done, when necessary

and ide controller cards are dirt cheap anyways
Old 01-19-04, 05:28 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Easy
If your computer is three years old (did I understand correctly?)be aware there are size limits imposed. Likely, the largest drive your system can handle without a new controller card is 120 gig.
True, but my 160 WD came with the card. No biggie. I didn't even need it. I guess the only problem would be if you are out of slots.
Old 01-19-04, 11:46 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,346
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by danw
Lacie has an interesting 1TB Bigger Disk. As RalphWiggum says, it's 4 x 250GB drives JBOD'd together for a very unreliable system (if 1 of the 4 disks fail you've lost all your data)!

I'd have to agree with RalphWiggum, though, and say just get a 120/160/200GB drive.
probably 160 is the best bet right now in terms of cost savings.

if you wanna save 500 cds, you can assume about 650mb each (wav = no loss), which would mean about 325gb. that's an extremely conservative figure since most CDs are substantially shorter than 650mb/74min.
Old 01-20-04, 02:43 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,065
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest some sort of raid 5 (i think that is is) set up if your going to take the time to rip 500+ cds and store all of that data. Something where if one drives dies you can still rebuild the raid.. Other wise you will lose soooooo much data on even one HD crash..

Not sure you can do it for $300-$500, at least not with a good raid card + the 5 hd's.. If you skip the raid set up and are willing to risk the time and effort you spent ripping the CD's then for around $400 you can get two 250gig drives.. or less for say a few 160 drives..

Ya know, on some level, even if there is loss, a 320k mp3 is not really that bad being it would save you money by not needed as much space and also let you upload to mp3 players ez and so on.. Just an idea.. Heck if you made mp3 out of them you could even batch store them just on DVD-r

As someone who has a lot of data backed up onto cd and DVD-r it would stress me a bit to take the time to put tons of Cd's on a HD with no backup/crash plan. I lost 80gigs worth of mp-3 and it crushed me.. Sure they were still on back ups but do you have any idea what a pain it is to feed disk after disk into a cpu?!!? BLAH!! I'm STILL working on getting the 50 cds/dvds of mp3 into the cpu.. It's that much of a pain to bother to do it. Never mind 500 disks..

If you really going to rip 500 cds I'm betting you are going to get to around disk 100 and really start to think about needing some sort of back up plan. heh
Old 01-20-04, 03:03 AM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DeadLamb
I'd suggest some sort of raid 5 (i think that is is) set up if your going to take the time to rip 500+ cds and store all of that data. Something where if one drives dies you can still rebuild the raid.. Other wise you will lose soooooo much data on even one HD crash..

Not sure you can do it for $300-$500, at least not with a good raid card + the 5 hd's.. If you skip the raid set up and are willing to risk the time and effort you spent ripping the CD's then for around $400 you can get two 250gig drives.. or less for say a few 160 drives..

Ya know, on some level, even if there is loss, a 320k mp3 is not really that bad being it would save you money by not needed as much space and also let you upload to mp3 players ez and so on.. Just an idea.. Heck if you made mp3 out of them you could even batch store them just on DVD-r

As someone who has a lot of data backed up onto cd and DVD-r it would stress me a bit to take the time to put tons of Cd's on a HD with no backup/crash plan. I lost 80gigs worth of mp-3 and it crushed me.. Sure they were still on back ups but do you have any idea what a pain it is to feed disk after disk into a cpu?!!? BLAH!! I'm STILL working on getting the 50 cds/dvds of mp3 into the cpu.. It's that much of a pain to bother to do it. Never mind 500 disks..

If you really going to rip 500 cds I'm betting you are going to get to around disk 100 and really start to think about needing some sort of back up plan. heh
Dedman you make a good point. What I think I'm going to do though is go ahead and get an external drive, somewhere around 300gigs, then encode all the CDs using FLAC(a lossless compression), so my guesstimate is that I will be able to fit them all on a 300gig drive. A couple months or so later I will probably back them up either on a second external drive or onto a server.
Old 01-20-04, 10:55 PM
  #10  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did a rough count of all my CDs and with the new ones cumming in the mail shortly, I'm gonna be up to roughly 650-700 CDS

I'm gonna end up needing AT LEAST 500gigs
Old 01-21-04, 04:20 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 1,212
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently using a serial raid array with a 240 GB capacity. You can get a serial raid array of 500 GB if you need more space.
Old 01-21-04, 09:30 PM
  #12  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
link to serial raid arrays ?
Old 01-22-04, 03:16 AM
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 5 Point West Side
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's talking about using a pair of Serial ATA Hard drives and running them in Raid 0, or strip mode. What this does is make the system recognize the pair of HDs as one and increase the HD performance.

A lot of current motherboards have the SATA Raid controller built in, for ones without, you can get a SATA Raid PCI controller card.

Storing CDs as WAV format on HD is a waste of space, you can get near identical quality by converting them to AAC format @ 160 bit or higher using iTunes.
Old 01-22-04, 03:20 AM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. But I've pretty much made yp my mind to go with FLAC. Have been hearing nothing but good things about it

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.