Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Authors! What settings do you use to capture your video..?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-19-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny...

I used to think that the length/size of the file mattered. However, I tried buring the SAME three files with TWO different DVD Authoring apps [one was TMPGEnc and the other was either Pinnacle or Ulead...can't remember].

Using the Pinnacle/Ulead prog, I fit all three...but the disc didn't work right.

Using TMPGEnc, I could only fit two and it worked, but the menu options suck.

ANYways...back on topic...

What are the best settings to use..?
Old 01-19-04, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you using to capture the video? Are you reencoding anything? The video has to be MPEG-2 and meet certain specs for most DVD authoring programs to accept it.

I've taken DV footage and encoded it to MPEG-2 and made DVDs. I've also downloaded shows from my ReplayTV, which are already MPEG-2 and DVD spec and created DVDs.

If you don't have to re-encode the video, I like DVD-lab for authoring and Nero for burning. For other footage, I sometimes use Ulead DVD MovieMaker which can re-encode the video if needed.