Reload this Page >

CD Burner woes...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD Burner woes...

Old 01-18-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Burner woes...

The last few times I've burned a disc I've gotten invalid files. I just did one and ten are invalid out of 150. Other times it's been 2 out of 5 or whatever.

The thing's only a year old, not used very often, and has always performed well, no problems before this.

I burned at 8x (I would have burned lower, but Nero set that as the lowest...)

Also, after burning it, a few minutes later my system just rebooted. This happened after I installed a game from that drive too, not that long ago.

I guess it could have just died, it'll give me an excuse to buy a DVD burner... but I don't really have use for one.

The only other thing I can think of is that I did install XP... and maybe the problems started at the same time.

Another interesting note is that my other CD drive (a DVD drive actually) using the same IDE channel did have that restart problem once. Could the problem be related to the power?
Old 01-19-04, 01:04 AM

could be power, I'd also suggest you install any updated motherboard drivers available for your machine
Old 01-19-04, 08:48 AM
Banned

sounds like a software-related problem
Old 01-19-04, 03:11 PM

You could always try temporarily unhooking your other DVD drive (just pull the power plug) & see if things get better - if so, it'd kinda point towards your power supply.
Old 01-20-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'll check it out when I get home, thanks for the ideas. Rather glad it doesn't sound like the drive is bust.
Old 04-18-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For anyone who was curious... the problem went away when I got a new mobo/processor.

However, I froze up mid burn, and now the whole thing is messed up again. Bah, I just tried to install a game and a few minutes in it froze up and started clicking like crazy... hmmm, well, new drives are fairly cheap I guess.
Old 04-18-04, 05:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get a DVD/CD burner for $25. However it is only 16x for CDs.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...95#post4779195
Old 04-18-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, of course... now let me just enter my US zip code and...
Old 04-18-04, 05:26 PM
X
Administrator

In-store only.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/StoreLocat...ator.asp?ID=16

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/StoreLocat...re_locator.asp

But I don't see that they carry the Memorex brand, at least online.
Old 04-18-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's nothing in their flyer, the Canadian deals are often different (not most of the time... but.. often.)

As I pass one on the way home from work, there's no harm in checking it out.
Old 04-18-04, 05:33 PM
X
Administrator

This was not in their ad, it was just on a tag by the drives on the shelf.
Old 04-18-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, I'll let you know if it's at my store here, it is a great deal. If not, I'll probably get something here, because for Canadian sites, it's not that bad. Futureshop or Bestbuy might have some deals going on now also, and there's a Futureshop next door to the Staples.

I don't use my burner often, but it's my primary drive because of it's fast read speed... I'm using my old DVD rom now, and it's slow and will give errors when installing.

Tell me, do you think it would be benifical to get say, a cheap CD drive (not writeble or anything) and then a secondary drive that does all the burning? I remember that used to be the way to go, when burning technology wasn't as advanced. Like I said, I don't burn often, but I want something to last over large periods of time.
Old 04-18-04, 05:55 PM
X
Administrator

If you have the room for it, it's probably a good idea to get separate drives, if even only for the ability to copy from one to the other.

I do that when I have the space in an enclosure. And I try to use a reader for reading purposes and a burner just for burning primarily to prolong the life of the burner.

But burners are getting so cheap that you can hardly get a a drive that reads only for that price. For example, I got a new slot-load Pioneer reader a couple of weeks ago for about $40. Now I get this reader/burner for $25!

I am building a small, cheap computer that only has room for one device. I'm putting a DVD burner in that slot so it can do everything and I'm not going to worry about its burning life.
Old 04-18-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I do have another one, it's an old DVDrom, but if you try to install something from it, it gives errors (plays DVDs fine though.)

Maybe since I used this burner as my primary read drive, I shortened it's life, despite the fact I didn't use it for burning all that much.

The site I linked to has some nice 56x read speed CDroms for like $20, I'll probably pick one up sometime. I could use my uberdrive for watching DVDs, as I don't watch DVDs all that often on it, and that shouldn't shorten the life all that much.
Old 06-18-04, 11:41 AM

Anyone with a Nero(Liteon) burner please help. I can't save tracks to hard drive - MP3 format. Everything else works fine, i can listen to my cd(no anti copy protection) with the burner but when i try to save tracks to HD it doesn't work.