Reload this Page >

DSL/Cable question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DSL/Cable question

Old 01-16-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSL/Cable question

So I have DSL, and have had it for 2 years now. 1300/128 and of course, I am loving it. But is cable better and faster? I always thought DSL was faster.

My friend has a cable modem, pays the same price as me a month ($35) and gets three times my speed.

I checked Adelphia's web site, and they want $58 a month for non cable tv subscribers (I have a dish, so no cable for me). They have a deal where it's $35 a month for a year with no contract, but they want $25 setup, and $25 installation fee.

Now the question is...

Is cable faster and do the benefits outweigh DSL? I heard the more people on cable, the slower it gets. What are the pros and cons of each?

Any advice is appreciated
Old 01-16-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do a lot of heavy downloading (ie lots of big files), then more bandwidth is definitely worthwhile, especially if there's only a small one time additional cost.

For day to day surfing, streaming the occasional video, email and other things like that, then bandwidth really isn't nearly as much of a concern as long as you have 768kbps or better. IMO, that's about the threshold at which I stop getting annoyed by slow loading web pages.

As to whether cable will be faster than DSL, that varies enough from place to place that really no one can say for sure. It depends on the wiring, the cable company, the house, etc. Generally, it's safe to say that you'll get similar service to what you're neighbors are getting.

It is true that cable modems share bandwidth with a local segment in their neighborhood. However, a good cable company will adjust the segmenting as necessary to insure that their users continue to get good throughput.
Old 01-16-04, 07:21 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cable is better then good DSL if you already got cable tv.
I'd pay 26/mo and get only 1.5M downstream from DSL instead of 70+/mo for 3M from Cable Inet + Cable TV.
I really don't like that they charge you extra for not having cable tv, its not like the trap they put on your line costs anything major.
Old 01-16-04, 11:11 PM

Watch out for the cable companies, especially Comcast, who has just upped its speed to 3M in many areas while sending out warning letters to users (including me) accusing them of abuse and threatening termination due to exceeding Comcast's bandwidth limitations. BUT THEY DONT AND WONT SAY WHAT THE LIMITS ARE! There is a thread exceeding 100 pages about this over at www.broadbandreports.com. So more speed but invisible caps that you will reach faster. I have some freeware that monitors bandwidth and can do 2G day easily on Usenet in a couple hours at night. One or two VCD movies is over 1G, a few video clips another 200 MB, some mp3's another 200MB, streaming video, multimedia content I pay for, junk coming in because i haven't put in my router with a firewall yet and so on.

As soon as I rewire an unused phone jack I'm signing up with a local DSL provider for $35/mo to compare their 1.5 to Comcast's new alleged 3, which slows down when all the local kids (including my son) start Kazaaing and Counterstriking..
http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...cast~mode=flat

How about the wave of the future, 6 Mbps/608 kbps with DSL for $60 mo, no caps?
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/37251
i think a local DSL provider may be upping to 3 Mbps any day now, and they provide two backup usenet servers with long binary retention. Comcast gives me a "free" gig a month with Giganews.
Old 01-17-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you think I should just stick with DSL? I don't really use programs like kazaa that much, and I don't play online except for Xbox Live, which is fine at my current speed.
Old 01-17-04, 10:09 PM

I would never want to give up my Verizon DSL... the newsgroups are just too good!!!
Old 01-19-04, 07:32 AM
Banned

wow 6mb /month is great I could go for that! Less laggy games!!
Old 03-10-04, 12:35 AM
Banned

I'm sorry this is absolutely bullshit!

Is anyone else with SBC Yahoo DSL having inconsistent connection issues with their web surfing? I have been having all kinds of issues on and off with SBC's DSL service for the past few weeks or so and I gettiing fed up with their cerappy service! My renewal deadline for SBC DSL is on March 30 and I am seriously considering scrapping this piece of shit service and going with eihter an alternaitive DSL carrier or Comcast Cable. I can't believe we have to sit here and put up with these kinds of issues SBC is having. Just last week we had to wait around for hours while they resolve their connection problems, now we're faced with this garbage.

Can anyone please tell me if you have, or know anyone that went from SBC DSL to Comcast or wherever else because of being fed up with SBC's crappy service? What has your, or their experience been like after switching? Would you recommend Comcast at this point? Plus the fact that people are now saying cable is indeed faster?
Old 03-10-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, I hope this isn't a regular thing for SBC Yahoo DSL. They're the only game in town for me when I decide to get broadband again (I'm dorming right now in college and I'll be getting my own place in a few months). If I had a choice, I'd go with what I had back home -- Time Warner Road Runner High Speed Online (cable). I used to have that service when I was in SoCal but unfortunately they don't offer in the city I'm currently living in.