Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem with Earthlink DSL

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem with Earthlink DSL

Old 01-15-04, 10:06 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,074
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Earthlink DSL

Recently I've been having trouble getting my Earthlink connection to go at DSL speed. Any time I try to go to a website or use a hyperlink, I get a message at the bottom of my browser. With Mozilla, for instance, it will say "Resolving host [name of website]." Or with IE, it says "Finding site [name of website]." Everything seems to crawl big time at a snail's pace -- not even dial-up is this slow! Eventually the website will fully load, but anytime I do anything within in the site or go to another page, the same thing happens: a long wait for the page to load.

The funny thing is that this only happens when I'm logged in as the administrator (I use Windows XP Home Edition). If I use a guest accout (or one without administrator rights), everything works as it should: very fast.

I am thinking I might have inadvertently changed or deleted something, but I'm not sure. There are no viruses or spyware detected, so I ruled that out. I have been using Earthlink DSL since last June, but this is the first time I've run into this sort of problem.

I do not use Earthlink's TotalAccess software, since I always thought of it as bloatware. Although I did install it just to see if it would make the network connections "correct." It did nothing. I use Norton Firewall, but no changes were made to it.

What am I missing? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-15-04, 11:02 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,707
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you have a primary DNS server specified that is either responding slowly or defunct. Did you specify your DNS server, or is it assigned via DHCP?

I have Earthlink Cable, and I've noticed that ns1.mindspring.com is really slow sometimes (or down), so I've specified ns2.mindspring.com as my primary DNS server, and that runs pretty quickly.
Old 01-21-04, 01:43 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,074
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still have no idea what is going on. All the settings for administrator/guest accounts are the same. My modem is a Netopia, which Earthlink supplied, and use Microsoft's Broadband Networking Utility with latest drivers with the MN-110 USB adapter.

Earthlink's DSL tech support wasn't very helpful. One person told me that I had to clear my cache and cookies. I suppose that solution would be ideal for some newbie's browser problems, but I was so specific at describing the problem, I wonder why the person told me that? Another one told me to installl WinPoet to connect. Again, it was less than helpful. It did nothing. Not to mention I had already tried that before I was told to use it.

Interestingly enough, despite the severe lag time for web pages to respond, Usenet isn't affected (but mail is), and if I run DSL speed tests on different websites, it reads the "correct" speed (i.e., 1027 kbps/ 103 kbps).

On Earthlink's DSL diagnosis site, these are the specifics, whether I use an administrator or guest account:

Current Mode: UHP
ADSL Line Status: Up
PPPoE Status: Connected
Access Concentrator Name: mclnva23-erx1
Services Advertised:

WAN IP Address: 68.166.65.152
DNS Servers: 64.105.159.250, 64.105.202.138

LAN Port Information:
LAN IP Address: 172.16.0.254 MAC Address: 00-00-C5-99-4F-84
DHCP Information:
LAN IP Address: 172.16.1.10 MAC Address: 00-50-F2-77-30-69
Old 01-31-04, 11:04 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,074
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally was able to pinpoint the problem that I had been having. It turns out that there are a series of recommended DNS servers to use:

207.69.188.185
207.69.188.186
207.69.188.187


So I set up the network connection so it would be forced to use the above servers, and voilą! Everything is back to where it should be.

Previously, I had the configuration set so the DNS would be detected dynamically, which worked fine until had the aforementioned problems. I still can't figure out why the previous automatic setting only affected my XP administrator account and not the guest one, tho.

However, my beef is that no one from Earthlink's tech support bothered to tell me any of that in the first place. I wasted too much time on them, and another user on an Earthlink DSL discussion list on Usenet explained what I needed to do.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.