Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying an all in one printer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-15-04, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using my brothers old scanner for about a year since he moved and now he's ready to get it back. So since my wife needs a fax machine and we have limited desk space, I figured I would get an "All-In-One" printer.

I've looked at a few and am thinking of getting the HP 5510. At $199.99 I thought this would be less of a burden to my wallet than some of the high end machines.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...5908&pfp=srch1

What do you think?

Last edited by WOWZY; 01-15-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just bought the 5510 last week!

I am very sure I made the right decision on this one! Easy set-up, everything works well. I was looking for something low-end, because I use it mostly for copying and the very occasional fax of basic black/white text. The main difference between this one and the higher end models was that it apparently prints in lower quality color, and it does not take photos direct from cards etc.

Even though I will rarely use it, I tested the color printer, and it looked great to me. Bear in mind I haven't compared it in detail to the output from the higher end models, but I can say that just looking at the output, I thought it looked much better than a color photocopy from a place like Kinkos.

Top loading sheet feeder works great, it is pretty fast if you are not in a major hurry for copying, scanning, and printing.
Old 01-15-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should add that when I tested the color printer, I just scanned a magazine, and apart from the glossy paper, there was no discernible difference in the scan.
Old 01-16-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i will second this. i got one of these for my grandmother for Xmas and enjoyed working with it so much i am looking at getting one for me too.
Old 01-16-04, 11:11 PM

Stupid Comp sales people!!

I went to CompUSA with the intention to buy the 5510, but the salesman showed me another HP (5110) that was $169. He said that it would do everything that the 5510 would do exept that photos would be lesser quality. I thought that was a pretty good deal since I don't do photos that often. So I bought the 5110 and got home only to find out that the 5110 wasn't the printer that I had looked at! The dummies had the 5110 tag on the 2510 and it was a flatbed scanner like I wanted and the 5110 wasn't!!

So I packed it back up and went back to CompUSA too get the 5510 like I had intended to get. That's when thing got ugly. The manager told me that I would have to pay a restocking fee since I had opened it :mad I explained to her what happened but she didn't believe me until asked her to come with me to the aisle where the printers were and thank God no one had changed it back. She agreed to let me just pay the diff for the 5510. She wanted to know who the salesman was that helped me. I knew who it was, but I was not about to let her get her kicks by reprimanding or firing someone who really may not been at fault for the tags being switched. So after she gave me my change I gave her a loud "PFFFT" and left. Sometimes a good "PFFFT" can do more damage than a good cussing.

All I can say is this some of the best money that I have spent in a long time!! This is an excellent printer and the photo quality is better than I can describe. I scanned an 8x10 portrait of my wife and kids and then printed it out on the supplied photo paper and I could hardly tell the difference between the 2. It's that good!!

When printing a web page or something with lots of color, I noticed that the page doesn't look wrinkled and wet like my HP812c did.

Some of the reviews I've read said that it was a little noisy, but compared to my old HP812c, the 5510 seems to be a little quieter.

If you're looking for an all-in-one you won't go wrong with this one.

Last edited by WOWZY; 01-16-04 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-17-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats! I love my HP 6110xi all in one printer.