Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Adaware categorizes part of Media Player as a threat

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-15-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

low, but still a threat

Vendor:Windows
Category: Data Miner
Object Type:RegData
Size:-
Location:.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings "Client ID" ()
Last Activity:1-15-04
Risk LevelLow
Comment:MediaPlayer Unique ID
Description:General Windows Security Issue.Your system security may be compromised.

Last edited by mikehunt; 01-15-04 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 06:03 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Easy solution. Dump the worthless piece of garbage that Media Player has grown to be and replace it with the vastly superior freeware Media Player Classic

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...er_classic.cfm
Old 01-15-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'm not really concerned with it, but I might look into that program for other reasons. I think I still have the original version that comes with win98se. I may have updated one version, I have 6.4
Old 01-15-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does Media Player Classic play the latest WMA and WMV9 files? I mainly use Media Player v6.4 which is what comes with Win2K. Windows update keeps wanting to upgrade it, but I can't stand all the newer versions of WMP. MS provides installable codecs for everything up to WMV8. They also have ones for WMV9, but they don't seem to be working.
Old 01-15-04, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by belboz
Does Media Player Classic play the latest WMA and WMV9 files? I mainly use Media Player v6.4 which is what comes with Win2K. Windows update keeps wanting to upgrade it, but I can't stand all the newer versions of WMP. MS provides installable codecs for everything up to WMV8. They also have ones for WMV9, but they don't seem to be working.
Should play anything that you have a codec for. Why not try it and see? It's less than a meg to download, and it is free.
Old 01-15-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had the old version not play some newer files.
Old 01-16-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We all have the old version too. Just go to run and type mplayer2 and the old version will appear. Voila!
Old 01-16-04, 12:36 PM

There seems to be some confusion here. Media Player Classic is NOT an old version of MS's Media Player. It is a modern, up to date program with all of the features of the latest MS media player plus much more, with an interface similar to older MS Media Player, and without the spyware/DRM that is in the current MS version. It is superior to every single edition of MS Media Player to ever come out, and it's free.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...er_classic.cfm
Old 01-16-04, 04:44 PM

I think you can safely have ad-aware remove this and it will not affect the functionality. At least I did, and mine still works fine. It also doesn't appear to recreate itself as ad-aware hasn't warned me about it since. Having said that, if you try it, you might want to make a backup first!!