Reload this Page >

Question about MX/DNS

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about MX/DNS

Old 01-15-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about MX/DNS

Hey all - I had a question about MX that I was hoping someone knew the answer to. Currently, I run a discussion board at sd-1.com - I also offer e-mail through that domain to my users.

However, I need to move my discussion board because it is taking up too many system resources on the server and the host that I'm moving to doesn't support e-mail for the domain, however, they said they can modify the MX record.

I have a reseller account on another server that I can play with the MX records on, but I don't know how exactly that works.

By modifying the MX record on sd-1.com, could I somehow get all that mail redirected to another domain on my other server? If so, is this quite complicated?

Any help is very appreciated - I'm pretty lost here.
Old 01-15-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found this little tutorial -
http://www.topology.org/linux/mx.html

Though it doesn't do much.

Would it be possible to set up

sd-1.com. IN MX 100 sd-net.net

So that all e-mail sent to [email protected] was then redirected to [email protected]?

If so, that'd be perfect, but I'm still a bit confused and not sure if it can work server to server rather than to a subdomain of the server e.g. only to mail.sd-1.com.
Old 01-15-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your DNS server, Web server, and mail server are all independent of one another.

You can move the web server (discussion board) to another machine and continue hosting mail on the current machine. Or if you're wanting to close that account entirely, you can configure another existing mail server (the one for sd-net.net) to also host mail for sd-1.com.

Basically, the MX record is just an IP address. Whenever an SMTP server is given a message to be sent to your domain, it looks up the MX record for that domain, get's the IP address and tries to connect to the SMTP server at that address to deliver the message.

The important thing is for the mail server at that address to recognize that it's supposed to accept messages for a given domain. That is, the mail server at whatever IP address you put in the MX record for SD-1.com must be configured to handle mail for [email protected].
Old 01-15-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Blake
sd-1.com. IN MX 100 sd-net.net
This would work, as long as the SMTP daemon on the machine, sd-net.net, is configured to know that it's supposed to accept mail for sd-1.com and deliver it to local users instead of trying to relay it to another machine.
Old 01-15-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
OK. looking up your current domain, here's what you have:

sd-1.com. IN A 216.12.200.74
www.sd-1.com. IN CNAME @
sd-1.com. IN MX 0 @

This means that sd-1.com goes to 216.12.200.74. www.sd-1.com goes to the same place as sd-1.com. And mail for sd-1.com gets directed to sd-1.com.

Here's what you want it to be:

sd-1.com. IN A new.host.ip.address
www.sd-1.com. IN CNAME @
mail.sd-1.com. IN A 216.12.200.74
sd-1.com. IN MX 0 mail.sd-1.com.

What this means is that sd-1.com now goes to your new host. www.sd-1.com still points to the same place as sd-1.com, which is at your new host. Mail for sd-1.com is now directed to mail.sd-1.com, and mail.sd-1.com points to your current host, 216.12.200.74. So your mail would still go to the same place it currently does, and your web site visits would be directed to the new host.