Reload this Page >

Good software (computer) dvd player?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-14-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of freebies windvd and nero something... but both display a perfectly square picture. Can anyone recommend a good software player that actually displays the correct aspect ratio? Thanks.
Old 01-14-04, 02:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't understand what you mean "display a perfectly square picture"? WinDVD can display widescreen, you just need to get into its controls (a little button on the right side of the control panel) to handle the type of display you have.
Old 01-14-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
I don't understand what you mean "display a perfectly square picture"? WinDVD can display widescreen, you just need to get into its controls (a little button on the right side of the control panel) to handle the type of display you have.
I mean 1:1 aspect ratio. Perfectly square. I dunno. There is a little button labeled "fixed aspect ratio" but it doesn't seem to do much. I popped in a movie to play with it and saw where it was labeled "widescreen" and I could change it. I wondered why I never saw it before... then it faded away in front of my eyes! Weird. Anyway, this is old (readfile says ver 3.2 requires direct x 6!) and came bundled with hardware so there must be something better out there by now.
Old 01-14-04, 03:36 PM

powerdvd ! the best
Old 01-14-04, 03:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer WinDVD to watch on my RPTV for the picture quality. I prefer PowerDVD to watch on my computer (which I hardly ever do) for the ease of use and lower horsepower requirements.

But I have older versions, I believe the picture quality of both of them is about equal now. I think the Nero player is essentially PowerDVD.