Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Home

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-14-04, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that I can't up grade my pc from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Home because there's no "upgrade path". Can I DOWNGRADE my Win 2000 Pro to Win 98 SE without affecting my programs & files? (Then I could do the upgrade from 98 SE to XP Home).

If not, what else?

Thank you.
Old 01-14-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think you're going to be able to downgrade to '98. Your best bet is to backup your data and load XP Home from scratch if possible. I wasn't aware you couldn't upgrade from 2Kpro to XP Home.
Old 01-14-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Win2k Pro is a fine OS, why are you considering moving to XP Home? If anything, move to XP Pro. Upgrading is usually not as good an option as a clean install. It would be better to make sure you have copies of all your applications' installation software and a good offline backup of all your data, as well as a good knowledge of your systems configuration (internet dialup settings, odd hardware) and iron out any possible compatibility issues before hand. Flash your motherboards BIOS to the latest revision, double check the settings in CMOS, wipe the hard drive clean (or better yet, at today's prices buy a new one, thereby having the old one as your backup) and install Windows XP from scratch.
Old 01-14-04, 10:49 AM

I installed a brand new hard drive 2 weeks ago but the computer started mysteriously freezing up me over the last few days. I'm running a bootleg version of Win 2000 Pro, so I thought a "real", licensed, version of Windows (in this case, XP Home from Office Depot), may help my freezing problem.

Thoughts?
Old 01-14-04, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Buying MS software? Guilty conscience? Did you get the full version or upgrade version of XP Home? In either case, it's pretty crappy. You want the XP Pro version.

Suggest you wipe the new HD and reinstall W2K on it, or XP Home if it's the full version.