Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Building a computer - can't get my OS installed.. help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-13-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done this a dozen times, but for some reason Im having a heck of a time installing XP. I started by d/l the Win XP startup disks 1-6. Then I installed them 1 at a time per the instructions on the screen. When it came time to insert my Win XP Pro Upgrade disk and hit Enter, everything SEEMED fine, but the CD drive and hard drive just light up about every 40 seconds in unison for about 10 seconds. I let it do this for about 40 minutes last night then just quit the install - no progress was being achieved from what I could tell.

So then I decided to go old school and use my Win 98 boot disk and install the full version of Win 98SE and then upgrade to XP Pro. Well, when I typed FDISK, I get to the "do you want the large disk enabled or not screen?" I tried both Y and N but it didn't matter because I would get a "cannot find hard disk" message. I know my BIOS sees my hard drive - is there something Im missing? Should I just setup my BIOS to read only my CD drive and boot directly from my WIN XP Pro Upgrade disk? Is that even possible? ANY suggestions are appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get as much info out there as possible.

- Rob
Old 01-13-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your bios may see your hard drive, but there is certainly something the matter. Check your jumpers, look for bent pins, etc. Do you have another hard drive sitting around that you can try? Keep booting with the 98 diskette and trying to FDISK as that is probably the quickest test of success. Good luck!
Old 01-13-04, 07:52 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Set the BIOS to boot from CD, put the WinXP CD in the drive, restart system. Select format drive as NTFS.

Haven't heard anyone use OS boot disk in a very very very long time.
Old 01-14-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you dont have a windows XP installation disc, then how can you even install windows?

you just put your bios to boot on the cd, stick the cd in there, boot from the installation disc and follow the instructions. ?
Old 01-14-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I second AGuyNamedMike's suggestion of checking the jumpers. I had made some changes to my system a few months ago and forgot to change the jumpers on the hard drives and I was getting a lot of strange errors.
Old 01-14-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely, check the jumpers and like the other guys said, don't bother to use the floppies, just boot straight from the CD.
Old 01-14-04, 08:20 PM

try and put the drive into another computer and see if that computer sees it, if so format it and put it back in the other computer
Old 01-14-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I dont see any reason not to boot from the cd.
Old 01-15-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd buy an OEM copy of XP Pro from a place like 9software.com.

I think it'd set you back about $150.
Old 01-15-04, 03:38 PM
Suspended

1st of all, your 9software.com doesn't work. 2nd, it's illegal to sell MS OEM software w/o the hardware (unless you're buying for an educational institute). No wonder the site you provided got shutdown.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - Full Version OEM

$139.00 @ Newegg

AUDIO 24" 4-pin Connector Cable
For connecting CD-ROM/CDRW/DVD to Sound Card.

You can use this item to satisfy any Product that has *Must be Purchased with Hardware!!* Requirement.
Free with any Microsoft Software Purchase