Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the Ultimate XP Pro VGA>Component converter?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-13-04, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I dunno if this belongs in here or in the HT forum but do any of you have the Ultimate XP Pro VGA>Component converter? How is it? How good is the component signal on your TV from from your PC? I want to use one for my RPTV. I already have the TView Gold but it's limited to S-Video and RGB Scart. I want to know if games from my PC will look improved, going from S-video to component. Anyone?
Old 01-13-04, 12:27 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It probably belongs in the HT Forum, but let's give it a while and then move it over there if you get no answers.

I use VGA directly into my RPTV and it's great. If I didn't have VGA on the RPTV I'd use a VGA->component transcoder for the next best image.

It will be way better than s-video on a large screen. But it could depend on the game's resolution too. If you start with bad resolution nothing's going to make it better.
Old 01-13-04, 12:42 AM
Banned

Hmm, that's interesting. What brand RPTV do you have? I've never seen one with a direct 15pin VGA input before. I own a 5year old Toshiba TW65G80 Widescreen RPTV and it still looks great. For some reason though, when hooked up via S-video signal to my PC courtesy of TView Gold's S-video/Composite converter, the image is way too soft and I need to increase the sharpness from 0 to at least 50! Keep in mind I play mostly 2D games(Street Fighter, Ms Pac Man, etc) via emulator so a nice sharp 2D image is important for me.
Old 01-13-04, 12:45 AM
X
Administrator

Pioneer Elite. All the Pioneers have VGA input. The newer non-Elites have DVI as well.

I have to turn my sharpness all the way down.
Old 01-13-04, 02:14 PM

X,

Newer non-Elites with DVI? Could you please elaborate? The last non-Elites that I knew about were the SD533/643HD5, and I don't believe they had DVI.
Old 01-13-04, 02:45 PM
X
Administrator

iveal,

You're right. I thought I had read that those models did have DVI but it appears it's only the newer Elites (PRO-730HDI and PRO-530HDI) that have it.

It's in the form of an HDMI input that can use a converter cable to connect to a DVI source.