Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

making my own blog site. how do i implement cgi?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-04, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never used cgi before. i want to make a blog on my own server, using some kind of blog cgi script.

question 1: how do i implement said cgi script on my host?

question 2: what are the best blog scripts?
Old 01-13-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
server will have to support cgi. if it's something like Apache running on your own computer this won't be a problem, but if someone else hosts your site you'll have to find out if they suport cgi. A lot of places make you go through some hoops to get cgi privileges.
as for the script itself, it can be written and compiled into an exe file if you want to use a language like C or C++ or it can be a script using something like perl or php.
I only have experience writing basic C cgi programs. a guestbook is going to be my next cgi project
Old 01-13-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Having recently tinkered with this same thing (and being as new to it a month ago as you are now), I can probably give you some good advice.

First: Use MovableType. It's free and excellent. Once you go through a few steps to get it installed, it's just like running any web application. Interface is very clean and a joy to use.

Second: Be prepared to spend some time with the install. And you'll probably make a mistake or two, so set aside a day when you feel relatively patient and not easily frustrated.

As for specific instructions - it goes something like this:

1) Create a main directory for your website files. It should contain two folders: one for content (HTML, CSS, XML, etc.) and one for scripts (CGI.) Also, create a subdirectory in the content folder called mt-static for the static MovableType files (more on this later - just create the file folder here.)

2) Download and install ActivePerl. Yes, this is mandatory; CGI scripts are written in Perl, and MovableType is all CGI.

3) Install Internet Information Server. Create a new website and point it at the content folder. Then add a virtual directory with script access, pointing at the CGI folder. Make sure that IIS that you want to run CGI scripts in the CGI directory with Perl (that can be a little tricky; let me know if you can't figure this one out.)

4) Download MovableType and unzip it to the CGI directory. Move the necessary static MovableType files (the whole docs folder, the whole images folder, and the style.css file) to the content folder.

5) Edit the mt.cfg file. This is pretty easy - it's just a text file, and it's very well-explained via comments within the file, so you should just be able to change a few simple fields (specifying the root of your website, specifying an SMTP server in case MovableType needs to send email, etc.)

6) Open a web browser and run mt-load.cgi; this will configure everything to install MovableType as an IIS service. If it fails, try addressing the problems that it reported and try to run it again. When you get it to run perfectly once, DELETE mt-load.cgi - leaving it around is a huge security risk.

7) As noted in the install documentation for MovableType, create an .htaccess text file within your CGI directory and put some stuff in it to improve security. The documentation will explain.

8) Again from within a web browser, run mt.cgi - this is the (only) program that you'll run from now on to manage your blog. You'll be asked a username and password - the MovableType install documentation will tell you the default username and password. Use those, and once you're logged in, change them immediately!

9) Finish configuring your website within mt.cgi. Delete the default weblog ("first weblog" or something) and use the menu options to create a new one for yourself. Most importantly, once you create a weblog, spend some time configuring it to point to all the right places (your archive directory, your CGI folder, etc.); failing to do this will leave parts of your website inaccessible (e.g., users will just get a 404 error if they try accessing your archives or leaving you a comment.)

10) Polish up the website by personalizing it: select different styles/templates, create blog entry categories, turn on ping tracking, etc. Play around with the site to make sure that everything works: try creating and editing blog posts, leaving comments for yourself, accessing archives, etc.

All of this might sound hideously complicated. It's really not - the documentation is well-written. If you encounter a fatal error, seek help here or in the MovableType forums. Good luck!

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 01-13-04 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-16-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

blogs?

on a related note: i want to start keeping a blog for my friends to read... doesn anybody know/recommend a particular blog site? even better would be one with some sort of spam protection (i.e. secured access)...

any advice will be appreciated!
-di doctor-
Old 01-16-04, 09:16 PM

Re: blogs?

Originally posted by DrRingDing
on a related note: i want to start keeping a blog for my friends to read... doesn anybody know/recommend a particular blog site? even better would be one with some sort of spam protection (i.e. secured access)...

any advice will be appreciated!
-di doctor-
Why not just set yourself up a LiveJournal?