Reload this Page >

Anyone else using MS Virtual PC 2004?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-04, 08:24 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally a product developed by Connectix (something like that). For those that don't know it's a program that allows you to install operating systems onto of your operating system. Provides miminal support for various OS's. There is a MAC version that allows MS OS and others... to run on top of MAC OS's.

Anyways it's pretty cool. I'm currently running Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard edition on top with Mandrake Linux 9.0, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 Professional onto. I really would have liked to have found this earlier... now I don't need to swap hards to change OS's. It's cool, but i'm sure in a week or so it'll be boring...

It's pretty cool because it uses a virtual hard drive... gives you 16GB to allocate... while it does allocate that much space, it doesn't actually use that much, just what you are using. I believe you can port the opering systems, gonna try that out tomorrow when i head over to school. Be nice to be able to use my OS... sort of like an overkill for a roaming profile?

MS Virutal PC

Yes I'm bored. I've got a lot of homework and I'm avoiding it.
Old 01-12-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I tried an earlier version running Win.98 on a Mac running OS 9. I just had a couple of PC games that weren't available on the Mac that I wanted to play. It ran very slow. Are the newer versions much better?
Old 01-12-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't used MS's version, but used VMware. It's kind of handy to test things on different OS's without having to switch machines.

Dave
Old 01-12-04, 09:03 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I tried an earlier version running Win.98 on a Mac running OS 9. I just had a couple of PC games that weren't available on the Mac that I wanted to play. It ran very slow. Are the newer versions much better?
no it's a bit more laggier than I'd like. Feels like I'm running on a my laptop, a 650mhz processor. then again I'm using the same hard drive for all the OS's i'm running, I'm going to move them to an independent drive later to see if that helps out performance.