? on Digicam picture sizes

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-04, 09:04 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a reason why most digital cameras take pics in 4:3 / 3:4 size vs. the standard printing of 4 x 6 that most places tend to print? Just curious if there is a technical reason for this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 35mm 2:3 format is considered "bad" by many; too hard for the consumer to compose to a format like that. 3:4 is more square so it's easier. On the technical side, a 3:4 format uses more of the lens and it matches your TV so it's easy to share photos that way.

Dumb reasoning, huh?
Old 01-12-04, 11:25 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Danw! It just seemed weird that just about most B&M places I went to print, they'd end up cropping the pics to 4 x 6 anyway so why would cameras not have that as a default. I would end up cropping the pics myself and then taking the files for printing. Luckily, my new camera has the choice of having the 4 x 6 as a standard default.
Old 01-12-04, 01:54 PM
Needs to provide a working email

You mean the standard printing sizes of 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20, just to name a few? Check the aspect ratios on those-- they don't all match. But ALL are standard photo sizes.
Old 01-12-04, 02:45 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
You mean the standard printing sizes of 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20, just to name a few? Check the aspect ratios on those-- they don't all match. But ALL are standard photo sizes.
No so much that...I understand those standard sizes as I've worked with 35mm and prints for some time. Its my experiences with Digital Camera pics...they seem to be a bit bigger than a typical 4 x 6. For example, I take a landscape pic, then take it somewhere to have it printed. The shop will print it but will slice off about 1/4" or so on both the top and bottom of the pic to make it a 4 x 6" print. For some online services, I've seen that they are aware of the larger dimensions and will ask you how you want to have the pics printed if you're asking for standard 4 x 6 prints. The uncropped version will be a bit bigger, but now you get the problem of it not fitting in most frames that accomodate a 4 x 6 print. My camera (Kodak CX6330) has a "3:2 mode" that takes them in the 4 x 6 dimensions if that is what I want, otherwise the slightly larger size.

Actually, I found the below site that helps illustrate the issue...see the picture of the rock formation:
http://www.bigdigitalprints.com/order3.html

Last edited by ngp; 01-12-04 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 09:51 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some digicams have a 3:2 option so you can print 4x6 pics. They include most of the Sonys like the P8, P10, P72, P92, T1, F717, and many others, as well as the Kodak CX6330. Of course, when you take a pic at 3:2 instead of 4:3, you lose part of the frame so you'll be taking pics at slightly lower resolution. A 5mp camera will have a 4.5mp 3:2 option; a 3mp camera will have a 2.8mp 3:2 option, etc.
Old 01-17-04, 10:36 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Check out the new "4xD" prints available at www.clubphoto.com (or www.photoclub.com).

Our new 4XD format is tailored for digital images. The new format is based on 4 in. x 5.33 in. print paper and provides a full dimension digital print, the way you captured it, unmodified. (If you have edited, cropped or adjusted your image in any way, please order our 4x6 prints.)

Perfect Size - No Cropping
The dimensions (height x width) of your digital image are not always the same as the print you want to make from it. Therefore, some cropping (trimming) of your original image is often required to make it fit the paper size of a 4x6 print.
With our new 4XD print size you will never have to worry about losing details of your image on the print. Each image will appear in it's entirety. 4XD images are approximately 4 in. x 5.33 in.