The Folder that Will Not Die

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-11-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I've got a folder on my desktop that I used to store files in but I need it no longer. Well, I needed it no longer a few months ago. I've cleaned out the folder and then deleted the folder, but the folder keeps coming back.

It's like that song about that cat. Every other day or so the folder will reappear on my desktop, empty. I'm not quite sure "when" it comes back, after a reboot maybe, but I'm not totally sure. I've got no clue as to why it's doing this or how to get rid of it. So after months of being nagged I am looking for everyone's professional advice.

Any clues to finally kill this sucker off?

Thanks a million.
Old 01-11-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Operating system?

If it's XP, try right-clicking on the folder and select Properties. Uncheck "Read Only."
Old 01-11-04, 08:19 PM

Yeah, sorry, it's XP Pro. Thanks for the reply.

When I checked the properties, "read only" was already unchecked.
Old 01-11-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you could always make it hidden and never have to look at it again.
Old 01-12-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try deleting it from the command prompt.
Old 01-12-04, 12:20 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What folder is it? Maybe it's a folder that an application uses to store files, so whenever that folder is not present, the app will create it.
Old 01-13-04, 01:46 AM

it came back again so i tried deleting from command prompt. now i will wait and see if it comes back.

the only stuff i had in the folder was mp3s. nothing else. i was editing with them in soundforge, but i made sure to get rid of all the temporary soundforge files as well.

hopefully it won't come back but if it does i'll bite the bullet and hide the damn thing. i've got a reformat scheduled in the next month or two anyhow. my god, if it came back after a reformat, that'd be scary as hell.

thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-13-04, 07:08 AM

Do you still have Soundforge on your computer, and is there any reference to that folder in the setup program of Soundforge?
Old 01-13-04, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by David_M
Do you still have Soundforge on your computer, and is there any reference to that folder in the setup program of Soundforge?
This is kind of what i was thinking. It's posible that another program you run, either by hand or in startup, want's that folder. Did you ever have any program rip directly to that folder? Or perhaps you told a program to directly dl to that folder? If so then you need to change that reference.

start>run>msconfig, is it referenced in the startup tab? uncheck it

***be careful with this one...read the regestry entries prior to deleteng...you don't want to delete important information as well.

***infact create a restore point first, and in regedit do file>export and backup the registry prior to changes.

start>run>regedit, check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is it referenced there? If so delete it.

start>RUN>regedit, search for the name of the folder, example, "my music" and delete all references to it...

That bout all I can think of right now.
Old 01-13-04, 01:34 PM

well, i searched the registry and found a bunch of links to the folder from another program that i had uninstalled ages ago. each entry however referred to the folder as the default saving folder so i deleted those and all other references to the folder. hopefully this will take care of it.

what i'm about to write makes me feel like i'm in a comic book, but "thanks for the tip, silversurfer."
Old 01-13-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by TLwizard

what i'm about to write makes me feel like i'm in a comic book, but "thanks for the tip, silversurfer."

Or a Saturday morning cartoon show, like GI Joe. "Knowing is half the battle"