Can you get a virus from an mp3?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-11-04, 05:18 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if viruses can be attached to mp3's.
Old 01-11-04, 05:41 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

no

but you can get a virus from something that looks like an mp3
Old 01-11-04, 07:05 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, my brother told me that his computer crashed and he had to take it in for repair. The repair guy told him it was a virus and that he could have gotten it from mp3's.
Old 01-11-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DAC
Ok, my brother told me that his computer crashed and he had to take it in for repair. The repair guy told him it was a virus and that he could have gotten it from mp3's.
It could have easily came from a email attachment or other source. The tech probaly saw a file sharing program on the computer hence the MP3 comment.
Old 01-11-04, 09:59 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can do maliscious things with an MP3 but I havn't heard of any of them happening live.
Old 01-11-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dont think it is possible for any executable code to be 'inside' of a file if the extension is .mp3

but oh how it would ruin the fun of ALL, if a new strain of virus did just that. Duh, why doesnt the RIAA just hire some genius computer freak to make a new kind of virus that does something like that. There were lots of rumors circulating at a time that the RIAA were solely responsible for polluting P2P networks with dummy files and virii
Old 01-11-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think those were rumors. I happen to know for a fact that software companies did it.

The tech probably just might it was probably caused by a file sharing program. To lots of people, they have no idea how a computer works, so the guy just said it was from mp3s.
Old 01-12-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What software companies did it?
Old 01-12-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only if it has a false extension, like song.mp3.exe -- such potential problems are eliminated by turning on 'view file extensions' in Windows.
Old 01-12-04, 07:29 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skiblet
I dont think it is possible for any executable code to be 'inside' of a file if the extension is .mp3
Yes it is possible. I've seen some papers on how it can be done. As I said before I havn't seen it go live, just in test.
Old 01-12-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technically, yes. In reality, not really.

If there was a buffer overrun problem in an MP3 player, then it would be possible to hide something in an MP3 that would exploit the hole, similar to the way some web exploits work.

In that case, though, the main problem would be the MP3 player and not the MP3, and the MP3 in question wouldn't do anything on any other player.

The main problem trying to infect someone that way is that you have to find the buffer overrun and then figure out how to exploit it. Unless the MP3 player is open source, that most likely isn't ever going to happen. It would require a lot of reverse engineering, and even then, you're not guaranteed to find any buffer exploits.