Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! How fast is a USB 1.0 CD-Burner and hardrive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-11-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help. My dad wants to upgrade his computers at the office. Well his computer is about 3 years old so I'm guessing it doesn't have a USB 2.0.

He wants to get a USB drive because its most easy to set up and use and he's not tech savvy at all. I can attest to this and it would be the most easy. I can't be there to set it up so I was wondering how a USB CD burner is? I heard that the USB 1 buners an be really slow, but exactly how slow? Similarly how fast are the USB hard drives? Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-11-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're very very slowwwwwww!

Is not hard to install an internal burner/hard drive. It's just a matter of opening the case, connecting 2 cables (1 data cable, 1 power cable) and mounting the drive on bay with 4 screws on an empty bay. It's really simple and you can find tons of information on the web on how to do it. Once you do it, you'll see how easy it is. It's not even worth it to go external.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-04, 07:59 PM

The USB 2.0 specification has a design data rate of 480 mega bits per second.
USB 1.1 is 12 Mbs.

The speed diference is amazing,
Old 01-11-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 48x 2.0 USB External burner and it say's the fastest burn speed at 1.1 USB is 4x.
Old 01-11-04, 09:33 PM
Suspended

For god sake, just get a USB 2.0 or Firewire card, they're really not that expensive.
Old 01-12-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I would, but therein lies the problem. He isn't able to install or open the computer up not only because he doesn't know how and would probably break something but but he doesn't really have the time to do it with his job.

Thanks for the response though, I'm still unsure what he needs to burn but 4x might be enough. If not I'll see what I can do. Most likely I'll try to get a USB 2 card when I'm in town and hopefully do it for him.
Old 01-12-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to have a spiffy Sony 4x USB CD-RW - but it always failed unless I burned at 2x or (most of the time) 1x. Wasn't that fun - went straight from that to a Lite-On 52x - can't believe how long I lived in the dark ages when it came to CD-Rs.
Old 01-12-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
For god sake, just get a USB 2.0 or Firewire card, they're really not that expensive.
True. I picked on up last week at Frys for $19.99 + tax last week or check out newegg. They had one for 17.99 delivered.
Old 01-13-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll agree with trying the USB2.0 or Firewire card. Recently, I got sick of my "ancient" 3 year old PIII-600 with the slow USB 1.1 drive (took 2 hours to transfer 1 Gig) and bought a USB2.0 PCI card. It's simple to just open up the computer, insert the card and it'll work. Now I transfer about 3min per GB.