Reload this Page >

4.7GB on a DVD-R? How??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

4.7GB on a DVD-R? How??

Old 01-10-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.7GB on a DVD-R? How??

I just got hold of one of those Sony External DVD +- burners from work so I can back up some of my uncompressed DV Tape footage.
On the packaging of every DVD-R disc I've seen it says 4.7GB worth of data storage. So I split my video into a few chunks. One of them happened to be 4.4GB which I thought would be fine.
Alas every DVD burning program I've tried won't even let me put that much data on. I had to cut it down to 4.2GB before it would fit.
Can anyone explain to me what's going on? I've tried 2 different types of media that did the same thing. 500MB is a big difference between what's stated and what can actually be done.
Old 01-10-04, 05:57 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1GB is really 2^30 bytes which is 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Unfortunately, the way hard drives and optical discs are defined is what you are used to, which is 1GB = 1,000,000,000. Makes them seem bigger that way.

So if you divide 4.7GB by 1.0737 you get just over 4.37GB being the max capacity of a DVD.
Old 01-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never really looked into it, but I always just assumed it was because they were measuring their storage capacity the same way hard drive makers do. That is, to them 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes not 1024 * 1024 bytes.
Old 01-10-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are you just backing up the file or encoding a DVD you can play in a player?
Old 01-10-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
Are you just backing up the file or encoding a DVD you can play in a player?
I'm just backing up the file. Not making a movie disc.

I understand the whole bytes and MB confusion as the way they market Hard Drives, but I assumed Blank DVD's would be measured accurately just like blank CD-R's.

It's a shame really, cause it would probably p a lot of people off. I'm surprised they don't have fine print on them stating the real size.
Old 01-10-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, what kind of failure rate are you guys getting with burning DVD's? Out of the 6 blank DVD-R's that I have bought so far, 2 have failed on 2 different brands of media. I don't run any other programs, either in the background or in the system tray. But it still happened.

So far I'm finding the whole DVD burning experience kind of dissapointing. I have the feeling the technology for the home market just hasn't advanced well enough for my liking.
Old 01-10-04, 06:40 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What media brand and speed are you having trouble with? What model number is your recorder? Have you flashed its firmware since you got it?