Help me find a NIC card for this old laptop please

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-10-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,

We've got an old Gateway Solo 2150 laptop that I'll be hooking up to the internet by way of broadband cable service. However it does not have a network interface card (ethernet).

Anybody know where I could find one? Either new or in used but working condition?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-04, 12:21 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you just need a PCMCIA (probably not Cardbus) card?
Old 01-10-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Don't you just need a PCMCIA (probably not Cardbus) card?
i don't know?

what is that?

<------feels dumb now
Old 01-10-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a PCMCIA slot is where you would connect the Network card. Check you Laptop's manual if you have it and it should say how many slots it has. Anyways I found this website that sell parts for your model: Link. In any case, most PMCIA network cards with drivers will work, or you could use a USB port and buy a USB ethernet adapter.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sataniko
a PCMCIA slot is where you would connect the Network card. Check you Laptop's manual if you have it and it should say how many slots it has. Anyways I found this website that sell parts for your model: Link. In any case, most PMCIA network cards with drivers will work, or you could use a USB port and buy a USB ethernet adapter.

Hope that helps.
thanks, i did a quick check in the manual it says that I'e got two slots (neither used) and i can use these cards

pc card 16
pc card 32 (cardbus)
zoomed video cards (in bottom slot only

thanks again!
Old 01-10-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

one more question, if i by this card and the intent is to use it with shared bandwidth from another computer in the household what do I need further to faciliate this function?

router, hub, modem, all???
Old 01-10-04, 07:10 PM
X
Administrator

If you have a cable/dsl modem/router you'll only need a hub connected to it and then your computers can connect to the hub. Unless your cable/dsl router has more than one output port. Then you won't even need a hub.
Old 01-10-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
If you have a cable/dsl modem/router you'll only need a hub connected to it and then your computers can connect to the hub. Unless your cable/dsl router has more than one output port. Then you won't even need a hub.

well, at the future home of this laptop they have cable broadband internet service to one computer. so in order to do them both I need to buy a router and a hub right?

Last edited by db27; 01-10-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just the router will do.
Old 01-11-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sataniko
Just the router will do.

cool, thanks for your help guys.

and let me apologize for not being network smart!!!
Old 01-11-04, 12:28 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by db27
well, at the future home of this laptop they have cable broadband internet service to one computer. so in order to do them both I need to buy a router and a hub right?
If the cable service goes directly into a computer you'll need to get a cable modem/router. If the cable service already goes through the modem/router device and then goes to the computer you would take the connection going to the computer and put it into a hub instead. Then multiple computers can plug into the hub.

If the cable service goes directly into the computer (#1) you could also get another network card, put it into that computer, and then run its wire to the other computer (#2). Then you could share the connection from computer #1 to computer #2, but computer #1 would have to be on at all times you want to use computer #2.
Old 01-11-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
If the cable service goes directly into a computer you'll need to get a cable modem/router. If the cable service already goes through the modem/router device and then goes to the computer you would take the connection going to the computer and put it into a hub instead. Then multiple computers can plug into the hub.

If the cable service goes directly into the computer (#1) you could also get another network card, put it into that computer, and then run its wire to the other computer (#2). Then you could share the connection from computer #1 to computer #2, but computer #1 would have to be on at all times you want to use computer #2.
Wouldn't he need two IP addresses if he did not use a router and went with a hub only? Unless of course he owns a cable modem that also is a router.

My understanding is that most cable networks go from the wall to a cable modem. then from the cable modem to the computer. To share the connection he would need to buy a router that is connected to the cable modem. The computer and laptop are then connected to the router. The router allows both computers to use the single IP address assigned by the cable company.

Wouldn't this be easier than using the first computer essentially as a router which as you indicated would require it to be on at all times that you wanted to use the laptop.

Here is a link to a website db27 that might help also

http://www.cable-modems.org/articles/
Old 01-11-04, 02:06 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by gcribbs
Wouldn't he need two IP addresses if he did not use a router and went with a hub only? Unless of course he owns a cable modem that also is a router.
Yeah, that's why I was calling it a modem/router. But yes, it could just be a cable modem without a router in which case I would just replace the whole unit with a combination cable modem and router that had more than one output port. Then no hub would be needed.
Old 01-11-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the current setup is just a cable modem, it is not also a router.

thanks for the link and further information!
Old 01-11-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.cable-modems.org/articles/linksys_review/

this item seems like the perfect fit for my needs, anyone have any thoughts on it?

thanks again!
Old 01-11-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sounds fine