Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Adobe is monitoring every image you open in PS CS

Old 01-10-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adobe is monitoring every image you open in PS CS

Breaking Story.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...y/?query=Adobe

Washington Adobe Systems Inc. acknowledged on Friday it quietly added technology to the world's best-known graphics software at the request of government regulators and international bankers to prevent consumers from making copies of the world's major currencies.

The unusual concession has angered scores of customers.

Adobe, the world's leading vendor for graphics software, said the secretive technology "would have minimal impact on honest customers." It generates a warning message when someone tries to make digital copies of some currencies.
Old 01-10-04, 02:07 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kick ass. But what's the use if I have 2 systems and one of them doesn't have net connection?
Old 01-10-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
::changes ALL Adobe Zone Alarm Access/Server settings to BLOCK::
Old 01-10-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"would have minimal impact on honest customers."

and minimal impact on real counterfeiters

They might catch little jimmy try to print out a few $20's on dad's PC.
Old 01-10-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's pretty wild. I'd be rather unhappy if I payed that kind of money for Photoshop...

That is why I use The Gimp.
Old 01-10-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They showed this on the Screen Savers Friday. It is kind of scary.
Old 01-10-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would have been ok, is Adobe openly admitting there was "Anti-Counterfeit" software installed. They wouldn't have to say what kind or what it did, but just mention it in their huge list of PS CS additions. And if the companies required Adobe to be quiet about it, Adobe should have told them to screw off.

If Adobe would have just mentioned it a little, I and many other PS CS users wouldn't be so irritated with their secret monitoring tactics. It was already bad enough for them requiring internet activation.

I can't believe Adobe thought this was going to help them. They say that they knew it was eventually going to go public, so why not divert the negative publicity from the start?
Old 01-10-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now people will just have to use an older version of Photoshop when they want to use images of currency. Nooo!
Old 01-10-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm? this is news. About 6 months ago I used PSP to try and play with some images for a forum I help run and I got a message that told me I wasn't allowed to open pictures of money. Stupid.

I don't belive Adobe is watching each image you open, but is rather able to recognize the patterns on certian money, and know not to open them.

I found a way around it though. I got the picture off a bill collector website, and so what I did was load that picture up in IE, then turned that window smaller then the actual image, IE then shrinks down the image on the fly, which messes up the pattern slightly, and then I was able to take it's picture using Prt Scr.

Whoever invented this technology was stupid. This isn't going to stop anyone making fake money except for little Timmy who wants to print off a few bills on the ink jet.

If some PSP user like myself can find a way around it, I think some big organzied crime guy will find a way too.

Last edited by BizRodian; 01-10-04 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The goal is to stop the small time counterfeiters.

The Treasury Dept/Secret Service is very good at nailing the guys who try to do it on a large scale. Their great fear is that this will become a sort of hobby amongst the less morally disciplined segments of the populace. Collectively they could print enough notes to seriously threaten the confidence in our money supply.

BTW, I believe color copiers have had these restrictions built into them for many years now.
Old 01-10-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It just seems silly to disable the opening of $$ files. A more apt solution would be to disable the saving/printing/exporting of files sufficiently similar to the $$. If I want to make a $20 with breasts where Jackson should be, then damnit, I should be allowed.
Old 01-11-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, obviously if you followed my link you'll see there are plenty of legit reasons for it. Disabling printing of bills would be a better idea....
Old 01-11-04, 04:30 AM
Banned

A better solution would be to make money that's actually hard to fake. They're moving in the right direction, with colors and such, but US currency is stupidly simple to fake convincingly enough to pass it off in stores and such.
Old 01-11-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Canadian money is hard to fake (though not as much as some) and that's what I was using, and that's what wouldn't open in PSP for me.
Old 01-12-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, off to change Zone Alarm settings right now...