Reload this Page >

Yet another wireless question...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-09-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have an Intel Wireless (b) gateway installed in my (2 story) house. It hangs off the Linkys Router/Hub (which connects to the cable modem), and services an upstairs PC, the Tivo, and my laptop when using it upstairs. The place I use the laptop is right on the edge of the range of the gateway. It drops the signal on an occasional basis. I've seen other threads that mention the possibility of external antennas to boost the signal, but as far as I can tell, I can't do that with the Intel box. The anntenas it uses don't appear to be removeable. The Intel is probably close to three years old.

Would a newer gateway perhaps have a stronger signal? Wireless equipment is getting fairly cheap, so I wouldn't mind spending a little money to upgrade.

Does (g) have a different range than (b)? I don't know that I really need the added throughput, but I guess it wouldn't suck.

Any other suggestions as to how I might extend the range of my current setup by 5 or 10 feet?
Old 01-09-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this.

http://www.linksys.com/products/wirelessstandards.asp

Looks like b and g are pretty much the same. You could buy something like this

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=548

to perhaps boost the signal, but it requires a linksys product to boost the signal. Don't know if there are any repeaters that work with wireless, but that may be something to look into also.