Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

explorer window offscreen when maximised

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-08-04, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I visited a webpage yesterday that moved my Explorer window all over (and off) the screen. A little while after I killed it I realized that my Explorer window now hangs off the bottom right corner of the screen when maximised.

Does anyone know how I can access the saved window settings for Explorer? I assume they're in the registry but I couldn't find them. Or any way to move it back to the proper place would be good too.

I'm running Win95 and it's IE 5.5.

thanks
Old 01-09-04, 02:42 PM
toq

If you're certain about its present location, you should be able to move it back on screen using some keyboard shortcuts. First, hit [CTRL]-[SPACE] which will bring up the window menu. Then press "M" for Move and then use the arrow keys to move the window back onto the screen. BTW, just curious but what happens when you try opening up another Explorer window?

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
It'll try to move your window to the same place it was last closed. Just move the window like toq wrote, and then close it.
Old 01-13-04, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by toq
If you're certain about its present location, you should be able to move it back on screen using some keyboard shortcuts. First, hit [CTRL]-[SPACE] which will bring up the window menu. Then press "M" for Move and then use the arrow keys to move the window back onto the screen. BTW, just curious but what happens when you try opening up another Explorer window?
Hmm. That doesn't seem to work. [CTRL]-[SPACE] doesn't bring up a menu and besides I don't think you can move a window when it is maximised anyway.

When the window is in "restore" mode it is fine, I can see it and move it around the screen. But as soon as I hit "maximise", it locks it so that the upper left corner is somewhere in the center of the screen. I can see the upper left quadrant of the window but the rest is hanging off the screen.

I hope this makes sense, otherwise I can try and get a screenshot.
Old 01-13-04, 08:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you're in a virtual screen mode where the resolution is set larger than your actual screen can handle so it puts things off the screen when maximized. Or you're in a dual monitor mode where it thinks you have a second monitor.

Take a look at your screen resolution and make sure it's what you think it should be. Can you increase the resolution of your screen, size IE down small, then go back to a normal resolution?
Old 01-13-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sometimes just altering the display resolution (without even resizing the browser window) will allow the window to "remember" what size it should be (similar to what X suggested)
Old 01-13-04, 09:58 PM

OK it's fixed. Here was the final solution:

Maximize Explorer, reduce resolution, leave Explorer maximized and switch back to the original resolution.

Thanks

Last edited by larryw; 01-14-04 at 12:11 AM.