Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best quality/cheapest digital prints?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-04, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my digital camera for about a year now and realized my picture collection on my computer is growing and I have never had any printed out. What company offers the best quality prints at a somewhat affordable price? I did a search but didn't find much. Hope this is in the right place.
Old 01-07-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Costco quality is good and for a good price.
Old 01-07-04, 09:40 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check these guys out...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=339511

Its 24 free prints for a first time customer. I just tried them and the pics came out pretty nice.

Also, if you have a CVS nearby, this week, they offer 5 free digital prints.

Almost everyone is offering prints for about $.25 to $.29/each. Some places may be as low as $.22. I've found that you need to try different places and find one that you like. For example, I've tried three different CVS stores near me and found one that is truly outstanding, another two that were okay, and one that was truly horrible. All have the same equipment but I guess maintenance, the calibration, etc. may come into play.

Check out places like Ofoto.com, Snapfish, and other services...many times, they offer free first time offers.
Old 01-07-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

costco's is $.19 in store when i did it a while back.
Old 01-08-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Shutterfly is a bit more expensive, unless you get a pre-paid plan, but their pictures are phenominal. The pictures I have had done with them blow people out of the water when I show them off, and then proceed to tell them they are digital prints.

A computer mag ran a comparison of all the online sites last year and they ranked SF #1 for picture quality. But last for price. I think they are regular (or were) $.45 cents a piece. One nice feature they have though is that you can label the back of EVERY picture. They print on the back what you want, i.e. names of people in the photo, locale, date... anything you want. Pretty handy tool.

I just got 400 pre-paid from them for $99. Which works out to $.20 cents a piece though. Depends on what route you want to go.
Old 01-08-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Costco's Online is run by Kodak and Ofoto is a Kodak subsidiary, both $0.24, and both excellent in my opinion.

Costco in-store is only $0.19. However, if you have stored (and editted) on your computer, how you get them there is a problem. I bought a USB jump drive and figured I could take photo files to store that way. Nobody supports that yet. You have to put files back in your camaera or on a memory chip to take them in store. You might check and see if you can take in on CDR if you have a lot to do at once.
Old 01-08-04, 11:11 AM

Many of the online places give you the first set of prints free, so just try them out. I've use Ofoto, shutterfly, and photoworks. I remember that one of the companies didn't use kodak imaging and paper, and there was a noticable loss in quality in the prints.
Old 01-08-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ngp

Also, if you have a CVS nearby, this week, they offer 5 free digital prints.

Yup, I've been over there about six times so far. The 4X6 prints actually come out pretty good.
I do however, adjust and resize the images prior to going. That way I just zip through the process quickly.

I was there last night and the machine was already working on 176 total prints for somebody.
Luckily, it was on print 170 so I only had a few mins. to wait.

I'll continue to use them at .29 per I'm sure.
Old 01-08-04, 04:29 PM

thanks for the replies... i ordered my 24 free pics from photoworks. i think i'm going to get the same ones printed from a couple other sites (hopefully free for first time orders) and decide that way.
Old 01-08-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by OldDude
Costco's Online is run by Kodak and Ofoto is a Kodak subsidiary, both $0.24, and both excellent in my opinion.

Costco in-store is only $0.19. However, if you have stored (and editted) on your computer, how you get them there is a problem. I bought a USB jump drive and figured I could take photo files to store that way. Nobody supports that yet. You have to put files back in your camaera or on a memory chip to take them in store. You might check and see if you can take in on CDR if you have a lot to do at once.
personally, i burn them to cd and take them to costco. it's less of a liability.
Old 01-09-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Walgreens has a special that if you buy 50 or more they are 20 cents each. regular is 29. YMMV in terms of the quality but definately worth it for everday shots. Especially if you don't have a Costco nearby.
Old 01-09-04, 10:14 AM

snapfish does a nice job with occasional sales & coupons once you get past the 1st "10 free" order point. Quick delivery too, about 4 days to get them usually.

-George