Reload this Page >

a few quick wireless networking questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to go with 802.11b instead of g, since I am only going to be sharing net access and printers, and not transferring anything bigger than word documents. I notice there are a lot of really cheap 802.11b access points and pcmcia cards online, are they any good? If so, what is a good bargain brand or should I just go with a linksys or the like from a retail store? thanks!
Old 01-07-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do not get a D-Link especially the DWL-650 series.I am having trouble with my Dell Inspiron 8100. It works sometimes and out of sudden loses it's signal.It might just be the card so I am thinking or replacing just the card with another maker.But when it's working then 802.11b is just enough for me,the netwrok is smooth and printing and internet access is very fast indeed.You need on a higher end card if you are using a 100mb cable connections which is available in Japan for residents to use.
Old 01-07-04, 09:47 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've actually had great luck with my DWL-650+ card (on it as I type) with the DI-614+ router. I've flashed both with the latest firmware (although I wasn't having any issues to begin with) and they have been working flawlessly for the past 3/4 year or so. I really can't complain at all.

Dlink router/card bundles are all over the net. Most recently, I did see the "G" bundle (DI-624/DWL-G650) for about $90 after a $40 rebate (it was at Buy.com but only until the 5th of Jan).

The one downside to my setup and any "B" setup is that if you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone or operate the microwave nearby, you could lose the signal temporarily.

Kumar,
Have you flashed the firmware on your DWL-650?
Old 01-07-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, so in doing research, i have become stupid all of the sudden. here is what i want to do: share an internet connection (cable modem), establish a home network consisting of two computers (desktop with 2 printers connected to it) and a laptop, and allow printing and filing sharing between the two computers. So, what do i need? obviously a wireless card for the laptop, but do i need a router or an access point for the desktop? thank you!
Old 01-08-04, 03:09 AM

No I have not flashed the card yet.I have done everything the tech support has asked me to do except that.I cannot even get the program that came with the card running.It just won't lauch even afater I have disabled the Zero Configuration Utility so many times.
How do you flash the filmware to the new filmware?There is no info at the website
Old 01-08-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had the D-Link DWL 650 and the D-Link Router for about 8 months and never had any problem with any of them running W2K and XP.
Old 01-08-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Just saw a bundle at Sam's club for the Linksys Wireless (802.11b) router AND the wireless laptop card for around $50-$60. Great deal.
Old 01-08-04, 01:38 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the Buy.com deal for $90 after a rebate (there is now an exp. of 3/2/04):

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...769&dcaid=1688

Kumar,
I just tried looking on the Dlink web as well and couldn't find the firmware updates for the DWL-650+. They used to be up there. You may want to contact Support to see if there is another place on their web that they have them.

If you want, get me your email address. I have the 220b firmware for the DWL-650+, its about 1.98MB zipped.
Old 01-08-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the G router and card for $99 from Best Buy right after Thanksgiving. I think the G's will be falling in price pretty soon, and the B's will be dropping even more.
Old 01-08-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are there any good deals going on now for a G kit including a router and a notebook card? thanks!
Old 01-08-04, 08:26 PM

Thanks ngp but mine is DWl-650 the first one,and there is a filmware and I have downloaded it.But there is no instructions on how to flash the filmware to the card.Can you send me the instructions?
I checked on the Dell forum and they also have been complaning about this card and the Inspiron 8100 models.Seems D link drivers are compatible with Texas Instruments so they suggested I download the file from Texas Instrument websiteand try to have a go.

Last edited by Kumar J; 01-11-04 at 10:59 PM.