Win XP Pro Activation question?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-04, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I have Windows XP installed on my computer with one hard drive ( I built my computer) but I was going to add another hard drive. Does anyone know if I add another hard drive, will it ask me to reactivate windows Xp or will it accept it (I know I will have to format it)? Thanks in advance.

Comp Specs:
Asus Motherboard
2.6Ghz Pentium 4
512Mb Memory
80GB Seagate Hard drive
Sony Dru 501a DVD Burner
All-in-Wonder Pro 9000 Video Card
Windows XP Pro
Old 01-07-04, 01:47 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

uhh, most likely not. that isn't much a difference.

but if you have to reactivate it, there shouldn't be a problem... usually i just give them my name, which i used to register the product, and such on the phone, i reinstall very frequently.. also i swap out about 10 different hard drives in my machine...
Old 01-07-04, 02:03 PM
Cool New Member

Ok, great...I once heard that you can call them about 4 times a year without any questions, but I wasnt sure...Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it will ask you to reactivate after you install 6 different devices.
Old 01-07-04, 11:15 PM

You won't need to reactivate simply by adding another hard drive. I just added one to mine last week with no problems.
Old 01-07-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only time I remember I had to re-activate XP was after I swapped motherboards without a fresh XP install.
Old 01-09-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How do you guys reactivate so many times? I can only activate one time on-line. When I tried to activate again, it said that the product key had already been activated.
Old 01-09-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
How do you guys reactivate so many times? I can only activate one time on-line. When I tried to activate again, it said that the product key had already been activated.
Never heard of that. After about the 6th re-install it gives a 1(800) number to call to get a activation key. I've called twice I think.
Old 01-09-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same here...I was told to call a 1-800 number (available around the clock) to get a new activation key.
Old 01-10-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wondering, but when did Win XP Pro start to require activation? I'm sure the original release didn't have that (home did though) and then when I got a copy (they were giving the originals out for free at their last training event in Sydney) of the latest release with SP1, it asks me for activation within 30 days.
I was a bit surprised to say the least.
Old 01-10-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The version of XP Pro that's sold at retail has always required activation. Corporate customers bitched about it and MS produced a special corporate version that didn't require it. Also, I believe if you bought your system with XP Pro pre-installed, then you wouldn't need activation either.

The thing that really annoys me about product activation is the same thing that annoys me about any copy-protection measure. The people who actually buy their OS has to jump through hoops to work with it. The people who steal it? They use versions or cracks so that they never have to deal with it. Pesonally, I'm astounded that any consumer would pay for the privilege to be treated like a thief.