Reload this Page >

Idea for web browser improvement

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost every decent-sized site these days has to have a "search this site" page or textbox. However, finding it can be frustrating, since the textbox or search page link is embedded in a different place on every page.

While looking for just such a button at eBay a moment ago, I accidentally hit the "Search" button on my web browser instead. And it immediately occurred to me: Why doesn't that take you to the current web page search engine?

So here's my idea:

Your browser should have a toolbar containing buttons for locations/functions commonly associated with web pages. Each web page could program those buttons to map to certain places within its site. When you point your browser to a website, in addition to loading the page into the browser, the site also specifies links for each of those buttons. As long as you're still visiting that site, you can use those buttons to access common functions. When you leave the site, those buttons get erased or programmed by the next site. This significantly improves navigation - you get a consistent interface for common website functions

So the toolbar has standard buttons - Web Home, Search, Directory, Contact (Email), Files, Links, etc. When you're visiting eBay, those could take you to the front page, the item search page, the user lookup page, etc. Other sites remap accordingly.

Sound cool?

- David Stein
Old 01-07-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow that would be awesome.

Also, if part of the modular design would allow for website searching to be hardcoded into ALL websites via the browser, it would be incredible.
Old 01-07-04, 12:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It would be nice from a functional standpoint.

However it deviates from the original intent of HTTP which was independence from requiring browsers to functionally conform to the content. Browsers just had to conform to the HTTP protocol and sites could do what they wanted as long as they presented content conforming to HTTP as well.

One of the principles of W3C is "A Web page identifier that provides a functional presentation via one access mechanism should also provide a presentation of equivalent functionality via any other access mechanism."

Microsoft has somewhat distorted that principle with ActiveX, and it appears what you are proposing could be an add-on to particular browsers that wanted to provide the enhanced funtionality. And I suppose you could look at it as the original method of searching or whatever would still work.

But the functions you propose are done in many different ways at various sites so it would require conformity to a new set of standards. And it deviates from the original intent of HTTP with so many possibilities that I'd hate to think about where we would end up, including more browser wars.
Old 01-07-04, 07:57 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm happy with mozilla's toolbar button for "Search this site with Google"
Old 01-07-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hmmm

install the google toolbar

http://toolbar.google.com/

this way the search results of every page you search comes back the same, if you are use to google.com this is a good thing
Old 01-08-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mozilla has the nice link toolbar which is handy on sites that support it - adding a search function to it would be nice, but would have to be supported by the sites themselves.

http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/