Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying RAM: Which one of these do I want?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a second 512MB for my Laptop (512 + 256 isn't enough) but I don't know what all the specs on RAM mean (the site explains them well, but I don't know what it means when no spec is given). Below are the choices for my machine.

I'm guessing the more expensive one is better, but I know that's not always the case. The cheaper one specifies CL=2.5, the other has no CL specification.

Which one should I buy? Speaking entirely on performance, not price.

Choices are here.

Thanks!

Edit: Okay, the PC2700 should be faster than the PC2100, as long as there is not a weaker link in the system, right?

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 01-07-04 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have the specs on the RAM you have in your machine at the moment? Because I'd suggest getting the same thing that you have already have...speed and CL to be more precise.
Old 01-07-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dancinns
Do you have the specs on the RAM you have in your machine at the moment? Because I'd suggest getting the same thing that you have already have...speed and CL to be more precise.
I'll have to shut down and open this baby up in the morning to see. I ordered my current 512 from Crucial in August, but I don't remember having to choose between the two types. If I did, I'm sure I just went with the faster one. I guess I'll find out in the AM. Is there any ay to check the RAM specs in Windows XP?
Old 01-07-04, 01:50 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you replace it (and your machine is capable of utilizing faster RAM) you're not going to be running any faster than your current RAM. So it would be wise to get the same speed as you already have.
Old 01-07-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I opened it up this morning and it is PC2700... so it looks like that's what I'll go with. Thanks!