Reload this Page >

Cable Internet Problems HELP!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have internet throught our cable company and it comes from the wall in my room and into the cable modem and into a wireless base station that sends the internet upstairs to another computer. I was away this weekend and when I came back the internet is unavailable in my room- but it is fine upstairs. Somone told to to run ipconfig in a dos prompt and it is all zeros! Can I reset or assign this? I went to options under my Microsoft Broadband Utility thingy (2 little computer icons in my tray by the clock) but when I click options it flashes and is gone, I getlike a glimpse of it- and It's all zeros as well but I can't get it to stay or change it! I don't know how it works upstairs but suddenly my comp is messed up. HELP
THANKS!
Old 01-06-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did you try ipconfig/renew at the command prompt?
Old 01-06-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried the ipconfig/renew and the 5 or so options that it gives and they are still alll listed at 000000000000000000000

Last edited by xfilekr; 01-06-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 09:13 PM

You could always try rebooting the modem and router. Unplug them and leave them for at least 30 seconds.

That usually works when I have problems.
Old 01-07-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've done the unplug and restart that usually works if it goes down but I think somehoe settings were off- I dont have an IP and when I check themI can't release or renew them.
Old 01-07-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you input an IP in your network settings?
Old 01-07-04, 08:56 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Cable Internet Problems HELP!

Originally posted by xfilekr
I was away this weekend and when I came back the internet is unavailable in my room- but it is fine upstairs. Somone told to to run ipconfig in a dos prompt and it is all zeros! Can I reset or assign this?

Is your computer also using a wireless connection? You don't actually say. If not, then the first thing I'd try is a new cable. Also, are you running Windows 95/98 or something else?

I would also try include what Copenhagen suggested, setting a static IP address that is in the range handed out by your router. If you aren't sure what the range is, you should be able to use ipconfig to check the working box and find its address. With common routers, you can generally add one to the last digit and get the next address in the same range.

If neither of the above help, then you might try using the wireless adaptor from the system upstairs on your box. If this works, then your adaptor is probably bad.