Reload this Page >

Is My Motherboard Dead?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is My Motherboard Dead?

Old 01-06-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is My Motherboard Dead?

In the neverending saga of my completely ****ed up computer, I rebooted my machine yesterday, and it never made it back to even the BIOS screen. This has happened a couple of times in the past, but I'd wait a few minutes, try again, and everything would be fine for weeks. It's been almost 2 days now, and I still can't get anything to happen. When I power up my machine, everything gets power, from USB devices to internal drives to the fans and HSFs powered by the mobo itself. However, nothing makes it to my monitor; in fact, the monitor shuts itself off due to lack of signal. I've tried another machine on the same monitor with success. Briefly I thought it could be my video card, so I put an old crappy one in this box with the same failure, and put my current card in the old box, and it worked. I've also switched the cables with similar results, leading me to believe that the monitor, the cable, and the video card are all working.

If you've followed my recent woes, you know I've ha a problem with every ****ing piece of my machine, from the HSFs to my drives to an exploding power supply. Is it possible that this problem would be caused by the processors themselves, or is this a motherboard problem? I have dual Athlon 1800+ on a Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX.

Thanks. *sigh*

das
Old 01-06-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though, you say all devices get power, I would test the power supply with that other machine you have. If the power supply is working fine test the memory modules, if the memory is working fine then the mobo is your problem.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-06-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The power supply is barely a few weeks old, so I'd be surprised if that were the problem (I even get power to my 10baseT connection when the machine is "off"), but it can't hurt to try. How would the memory be relevant? I should be able to get to my BIOS without any RAM at all, right?

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 01-06-04 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 07:47 PM
Suspended

Which PSU are you using exactly? What RAM? Brand and model if you will. If you have shitty RAM, your system won't turn on, it's that simple. Have you tried turning on a system w/o the CPU, RAM, and video card? No?
Old 01-06-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate my life. I just ****ing hate it. Clearly, I've done something to piss off the fates. (Calm down, Clarence ... I don't hate it that much. Get your wings elsewhere.) True to form ... it works now. No, I didn't do anything (since the last time it didn't work) other than stare at it curiously and swear like a sailor. Anyway, the underlying problem surely remains, so advice is still needed. Thanks.

das
Old 01-06-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PSU is the Antec TruePower 550. RAM is 2 1GB sticks of Crucial DDR PC2100 (Registered, ECC). I'd like to think I have solid stuff in there.

das
Old 01-07-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ok this might sound stupid however have you tried changing the battery on the MB?

I had some problems with my motherboard where I was not able to boot up and it turned out to be the battery.

I replaced the battery and cleared the cmos and it worked ever since.

might be worth a try since it is an under $5 expense.
Old 01-07-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First thing I'd do in this situation (mainly because it's fairly painless) is to clear the CMOS.

After that, I usually strip the machine down to the bare essentials. That is, I'd pull everything but one CPU, one stick of memory, a video card, the PSU, and a PC speaker attached to the motherboard. The latter is important in case your board is trying to tell you something via beep codes.

With just those components, power up the board and hopefully it'll POST. If it doesn't POST, but starts beeping erratically, bust out the manual and look up what those beeps mean.

If it doesn't POST and you get no beeps at all, then start switching out components one at a time, preferably to known good units. BTW, I believe running that board with a single CPU requires that the CPU to be in a particular socket.
Old 01-07-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This should be fun. Gotta go to work now, but I'll start going through all of that when I can.

I don't know if this is related, but when I rebooted this morning (it's still working right now *shrug*), I heard an odd beep while Windows 2000 was loading the logon screen. It didn't sound like a typical PC Speaker beep ... it was kind of low to high to low and maybe a full second in duration ... it had a drawn out muted sound to it. I don't know how to describe it better than that, but it was well after all my BIOS stuff had loaded and into the Windows 2000 logon.

Thanks for all the help.

das