Reload this Page >

Ad-aware question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ad-aware question

Old 01-06-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ad-aware question

I recently dowbloaded and installed the free version of Ad-aware 6.0.
So here's my question, is it supposed to do anything automatically? Such as when Norton pops up indicating it has detected a virus or trojan?
Or do I have to simply manually run the scan periodically? And do I just delete everything it comes up with?
Old 01-06-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The free version does nothing automatically as far as I know, you have to manually scan your computer regularly. The professional version comes with "Ad-Watch", which monitors your computer and blocks any adware that attempts to gain access.
Old 01-06-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Under Settings, you can select to have Ad-Aware 'run at Windows start-up.' Also, if you go under Automation, you can select 'Startup scan mode--none, custom settings, smart-scan.' You can also make it start minimized, and close after start-up scan under that same menu.
Try those settings, see what it does.
I would definitely still manually run it occasionally; I update and manually run AdAware and Spybot at least once or twice a week.
It looks like they did convert 'Automatically mark all objects' to a paid-version feature only, because I swear it used to do that. No biggie [you can Right click on the results menu and choose Select all.]
Old 01-07-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ad-aware question

Originally posted by Phil L.
... And do I just delete everything it comes up with?
On the regkey items (the first items), do a right click and then choose "Item details". At that point, if you recognize what it is and don't care about it*, leave it, else I'd delete it (definately delete any high risk items).

As for all of the tracking files, I just delete all of them.

*as an example, I have a low risk regkey item that is bundled wih Broderbund software. I normally don't delete it.
Old 01-07-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Norton Antivirus Corporate running on my department machines. Is there any software out there that scans virii and spyware all at once? I guess I should send Symantec an e-mail.