XP firewall, is it enough?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-04, 01:32 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running XP prof and have the built in firewall enabled. I know you can never full proof your machine as there are new viruses and stuff coming out all the time. Just wondering if I should also use another program like Zone Alarm, or is the XP firewall good enough for now?
Old 01-06-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, is not enough. Try installing ZA or Norton's Firewall if you have a copy.
Old 01-06-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: XP firewall, is it enough?

Originally posted by Fok
I'm running XP prof and have the built in firewall enabled. I know you can never full proof your machine as there are new viruses and stuff coming out all the time. Just wondering if I should also use another program like Zone Alarm, or is the XP firewall good enough for now?
No. Get thee behind a router. Also, I like firewall software mostly for what it tells me about programs that try to call home.
Old 01-06-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seem to recall a report from M$ saying that had people just turned on the built-in firewall, they wouldn't have gotten the blaster virus. A router would probably only have NAT, which I suppose just hides the ports, but they would still be vulnerable. ZA is a good suggestion, although I am sure there are better programs out there.
Old 01-06-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what about tiny firewall.
Old 01-07-04, 01:29 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ranger
A router would probably only have NAT, which I suppose just hides the ports, but they would still be vulnerable.
No they wouldn't, unless they had specifically forwarded the RPC port to a PC on their LAN (and there is no reason to do that).
Old 01-07-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why not download Zone Labs' Zone Alarm. One of the best freebies out there for your PC.
Old 01-07-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get Sygate or Zone Alarm.
Old 01-07-04, 03:21 PM
Suspended

I'd say if you're using dynamic IP DSL/dial-up, the XP built-in firewall's good enough. It's the static IP DSL/cable you have to worry about. But then it gets tricky when people w/ ill intend finds out what your IP addy is and start hacking. I'm just using the XP one 'cause I use dynamic IP DSL, so it's difference every time I get on. I hate installing addition program when it's no really necessary, ie. Anti Virus. Get Zone Alarm + Router if you're paranoid.
Old 01-07-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
I'd say if you're using dynamic IP DSL/dial-up, the XP built-in firewall's good enough. It's the static IP DSL/cable you have to worry about. But then it gets tricky when people w/ ill intend finds out what your IP addy is and start hacking. I'm just using the XP one 'cause I use dynamic IP DSL, so it's difference every time I get on. I hate installing addition program when it's no really necessary, ie. Anti Virus. Get Zone Alarm + Router if you're paranoid.
(scratches head)

Having a DHCP address on a high speed connection is just as dangerous as having a static.

If you have any type of high speed connection you should have some firewall protection above and beyond XP's built in. Maybe if you were on DIAL UP, the XP would suffice, but I would not be happy with just that.

XP's firewall is not really enough to protect you. Blackice, Zone Alarm, Tiny Firewall, etc, etc, software based firewalls are step one in protecting you. They help, but are not an end all beat all solution.

Next would be a hardware router performing NAT (these are cheap and easy to get/setup). These offer fairly good inbound protection, but no outbound.

A hardware router with NAT and a software firewall are even a better combo

A hardware firewall with stateful packet inspection as well as a software firewall combo is the best way to go.
Old 01-07-04, 04:22 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is there an easy way of changing a static ip address?
Old 01-07-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
is there an easy way of changing a static ip address?
You have to talk to your ISP to do that, or to change to a dynamic address.
Old 01-07-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
true. the default settings of the xp firewall block the port used by the blaster worm. enabling it was how I was able to get customers online to get the patch when I was working for Sony tech support

Originally posted by Ranger
I seem to recall a report from M$ saying that had people just turned on the built-in firewall, they wouldn't have gotten the blaster virus.
Old 01-07-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I use Kerio Personal Firewall, I think it used to eb called Tiny
easy to configure