Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

free database?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

free database?

Old 01-04-04, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free database?

I'm looking for some free database software. Nothing special. I'd like each entry to have some user-defined fields. I'd like control over the fields and be able to sort entries based on the fields. I don't need any web interfaces or querying or multi-user or anything special.

Any recommendations? I don't have MS Access. I have MS Works and it looks like it has a database function, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.mysql.com

Dave
Old 01-04-04, 11:12 PM

It looks like mysql might be a little overkill. Can you run mysql not as a database server? From what little I've looked at it, it doesn't look very user-friendly.

Also, does this page mean that it's not free?
http://www.mysql.com/products/pricing.html
Old 01-04-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They have different licensing terms, but it is free to anyone who wants to use it. (I think you need a license if you develop a program that uses it, and include it in the application). You can run it on a regular pc, you don't need a server OS, if I read that question right. If this is something basic you need, then the free one in works might be best. Mysql isn't hard to use if you understand SQL, but that can be a steep learning curve.

Dave
Old 01-04-04, 11:43 PM

It looks like mysql is kind of a pain to set up from reading documentation. So, you set it up to always run the server in the background, is that correct? And then individual DBs connect to it?

Are there any GUI wrappers around mysql to make it more user friendly?
Old 01-05-04, 12:22 AM

Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) is a free program very similar to Microsoft Office. It includes an Access-like database program along with a bunch of other MS Office equivalents. I haven't tried it, but it looks just as user friendly as Access.
Old 01-05-04, 12:28 AM

Thanks brilk. I'm using Open Office 1.1 Beta now. It looks like the DB is just kind of half-assed added on and not very robust at all. It keeps crashing on me all the time. I upgraded to OO 1.1.0 and it doesn't even recognize the DB from the beta version. So now I'm looking for something new.
Old 01-05-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

mysql sets up as a service, so it always runs, unless you tell it not to. There is a free gui from mysql (I think it is called myCC, you'll have to track it down on their site. )
There are other gui's, I use this one:
http://www.ems-hitech.com/mymanager
and have used this one:
http://www.navicat.com/product.php3

neither are free however. I think the main one people use is phpmyadmin, however that is a PHP web based admin, which is probably way more effort than you want.

Dave
Originally posted by Beaver
It looks like mysql is kind of a pain to set up from reading documentation. So, you set it up to always run the server in the background, is that correct? And then individual DBs connect to it?

Are there any GUI wrappers around mysql to make it more user friendly?
Old 01-06-04, 10:12 PM

Any other recs? Mysql looks like too much of a project. I'd like something easy to set up and manage, since this will just be a little, for-fun project.

I'm leaning towards MS Works, but there HAS to be something better out there.
Old 01-07-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about openoffice.org? Might not yet be much better than Works, but hey, it's free and open source
Old 01-07-04, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Lampei
What about openoffice.org? Might not yet be much better than Works, but hey, it's free and open source
Like I mentioned in my post above, that is what I'm currently using. But I'm having lots of problems and am looking for something new.
Old 01-07-04, 12:04 PM
Banned

Download the database from oracle.com.
Old 01-12-04, 11:53 PM

I finally got OO 1.1.0 to work with my old DB. There are certain things I don't like about it. Looking at things in list view is not very usable. But I may end up keeping it. I also have Book Collectorz and am thinking of modifying that for more general purposes.