Reload this Page >

Win 2000 Professional vs. XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-04-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently built a new comp AMD 2100+, 512 mB RAM, 40 GB HD.. Pretty standard... Anyway, I can't decide which OS to load onto it. I have both Win 2000 Professional and XP... Which one would you guys recommend?
Old 01-04-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely WinXP.
Old 01-04-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never had the desire to upgrade any of my boxes from 2000 to XP, but I recently purchased a laptop with it preloaded and have had plenty of time to play with it and get used to it. After sufficient analysis, I can now confirm that there's absolutely no reason to upgrade, and when I get some free time, I'll be putting 2000 on this laptop. There's nothing "wrong" with XP, other than it just being annoying. Really, it's just personal preference. I wouldn't take anyone too seriously who definitively tells you one is superior to the other as a whole, because each has its advantages. If you like the bells and whistles of XP, there's your answer. If you find them insufferable, well ...

I would never advise someone to "upgrade" from a stable 2000 to XP, but since you're starting from strach, it really doesn't matter. Just make sure you don't have any odd hardware with wacky drivers or need to connect to a specific network or something.

das
Old 01-04-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know there are difference with the GUI as Das is mentioning and those really result in a personal preference.. Does anyone know anything about how the 2 OSs use resources? I'm sure some benchmarking has been done somewhere
Old 01-04-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my non-scientific comparison (XP at work, 2000 at home), they're about the same.
Old 01-04-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

XP starts up faster.

I can live with the slower startup on 2000 (at home and work), since I'm in the "can't stand bells and whistles" camp.
Old 01-04-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

xp doesn't really start faster. With Win 2000 most services started during the splash screen. With XP the splash is quick, but most services start at the log on prompt. On XP there is a longer lag after the log on prompt because the services are still starting.
Old 01-04-04, 02:05 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on what you're doing.

I only use XP for computers that need better multimedia and multiple monitor support.
Old 01-04-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like XP much more. My video plays smoother than in W2K. My RAM are used more efficiently. The terminal service feature is awesome (only W2K server and Advanced Server has this option). A little more features in the Recovery Console. Finally, a personal preference, I like the XP interface.
Old 01-04-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
XP, simply because newer software may or may not be supported under 2000. The new Adobe Premiere and Encore are XP only.
Old 01-04-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

XP is kind of the standard at present. It's remarkably stable, too. The only reason I'd pick Windows 2000 Pro instead is if you need to do some NT domain administration - those features aren't in WinXP Pro (you'll need Windows 2003 Server for a WinXP-like experience with domain administration features.)

- David Stein
Old 01-04-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for WinXP. Even though both OS's are similar in a recently built system I would install XP so that there's no reason to upgrade the OS in the near future.
Old 01-04-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
XP is kind of the standard at present. It's remarkably stable, too. The only reason I'd pick Windows 2000 Pro instead is if you need to do some NT domain administration - those features aren't in WinXP Pro (you'll need Windows 2003 Server for a WinXP-like experience with domain administration features.)

- David Stein
What domain administration are you referring to? I still can manage the NT domain from my XP workstation at work. The only thing I've noticed is that the Replication button does not work in Server Manager where as it will in W2K.
Old 01-04-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
What domain administration are you referring to?
I've read in a number of texts that you can't create a Windows NT domain with any version of Windows XP. Is that not correct?

- David Stein
Old 01-04-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that it's just personal preference... i prefer XP.
Old 01-04-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read in a number of texts that you can't create a Windows NT domain with any version of Windows XP. Is that not correct?

- David Stein
W2K comes in Professional, Server, and Advanced Server. XP is strictly for workstation, not to function as a server OS. You can't configure a W2K Professional to act as an NT domain controller like W2K Server or Advanced Server do.

I believe this thread is about W2K Professional vs XP Home or XP Professional for a home PC.
Old 01-04-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I reboot less with my XP PC than I do with my W2K Pro PC when errant programs go amok.

XP on older PCs (less horsepower) isn't something I'd actively encourage.
Old 01-04-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
W2K comes in Professional, Server, and Advanced Server. XP is strictly for workstation, not to function as a server OS. You can't configure a W2K Professional to act as an NT domain controller like W2K Server or Advanced Server do.
That's completely consistent with my understanding. That's also what I meant by domain administration.

Before about a month ago, I was of the mistaken impression that XP Pro included most/all of the functionality of Windows 2000 Pro. Then I started looking into creating an NT domain and managing it from an XP Pro box as an added wireless security feature, and was surprised to learn that I couldn't. Just advising the original poster that this feature is missing from WinXP.

- David Stein
Old 01-04-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Before about a month ago, I was of the mistaken impression that XP Pro included most/all of the functionality of Windows 2000 Pro.
You meant Server edition right? XP has everything + more than W2K Professional.
Old 01-04-04, 06:28 PM
X
Administrator

You can't set up a domain under Win2K Pro or XP anything.

You need a domain controller to have a domain, not a workgroup. And it requres a server version of NT or 2K OSs to have a domain.

If you want a domain and the looks of XP you can go Win2003 Server. But I wouldn't recommend it for general use yet.
Old 01-04-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OS 10.3.2 on my notebook and XP Pro on the desktop.
Old 01-04-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

- David Stein
That is correct, you can NOT create a domain with Windows XP workstation.

You also can NOT create a domain with windows 2000 pro workstation either.

You MUST have a SERVER OS to create a domain.

Your statement is correct, but irrelevant. Time to read less and do more

That's completely consistent with my understanding. That's also what I meant by domain administration.

Before about a month ago, I was of the mistaken impression that XP Pro included most/all of the functionality of Windows 2000 Pro. Then I started looking into creating an NT domain and managing it from an XP Pro box as an added wireless security feature, and was surprised to learn that I couldn't. Just advising the original poster that this feature is missing from WinXP.

- David Stein

We took care of the creating a domain issue above, but the admin issue has me. I manage large domains on a daily basis with XP, what EXACTLY can't you do??
Old 01-04-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and to answer the question, if you have at least 512mb of ram and a Penium 2.0ghz or higher processor, load win XP

If you have less ram or a slower machine, go with 2000.

XP does have much better dual monitor support.

XP has a system restore feature that I like

I set all the XP menus back to classic mode (win 2k style) and turn off all the eye cady and BS services that most people don't need and XP runs great.

One or the other may lack a specfic driver for your hardware, make certain you check that out (especially for scanners). If you have a driver limitation that will answer your question.
Old 01-04-04, 11:23 PM
X
Administrator

4KRG is drunk.

I have never used the system restore feature so it's irrelevant to me. I ghost.

I also make XP look just like Win2K. The native XP desktop doesn't think like me and just gets in the way.
Old 01-05-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
4KRG is drunk.

yes and I can' type either, but good guess

Originally posted by X

I have never used the system restore feature so it's irrelevant to me. I ghost.

hmmm - I never thought I would trust it or like it, but trying it before trying anything more intense has made me a beleiver. it is simply another 'tool' to try and solve a problem. It is by no means the end all beat all of OS repair, just another 'option' to a quick fix.

Originally posted by X
I also make XP look just like Win2K. The native XP desktop doesn't think like me and just gets in the way. [/B]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.