Reload this Page >

PowerDvd 5 OEM?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PowerDvd 5 OEM?

Old 01-03-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowerDvd 5 OEM?

Does anyone know if the Cyberlink PowerDvd 5 OEM version is much different from the standard reatail version? I looked on Cyberlinks web page and tried the Upgrade option and put in version 5, bundled thing and it only had two options listed for DivX and the audio pack as upgrades with no other options.

I found an online place that is selling the OEM version for .99 cents but shipping is 5.00, usps priority mail. I decided to take a chance on it but was wondering what to expect...

Here is the place:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/liveware...swcy25100.html
Old 01-03-04, 08:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the audio packs are the primary difference. It won't matter if you output via s/pdif to a receiver but they are nice to have when listening on a computer (but not necessary).
Old 01-04-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The OEM version that came with my computer also was missing the image capture feature. I'm not sure what else is hobbled.
Old 01-04-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also had the OEM version, it worked fine for a while but then it started giving me errors everytime i tried to use the program, even after an uninstall/install session. So I just quit using it and went back to version 4.0. By the way, mine had the Image Capture feature.
Old 01-04-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the OEM version, and it doesn't allow to play back 5.1 through my computer speakers which was a real disappointment.
Old 01-10-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I received my order from this place quickly. It looks like the only thing missing from the OEM version is the Audio Pak thing, 5.1, DTS, etc. that can be purchased from Cyberlink. After I installed the OEM disc I downloaded the current patch and I got the extra 4 and 6 speaker options that were not there before. I have not played with that yet. The Camera is functional on what I got.

So far I have had no problems with it. I had many problems with PowerDvd 4 that I rarely ever used it and just stuck with my Hollywood Plus card. Not sure if PowerDvd 5 will be my choice Dvd player on my computer but first looks are encouraging.