Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it worth buying an ipod NOW?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-04, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I've got some money to burn and I've recently had the urge to buy an ipod. I've had minidiscs, discmans, PDAs; pretty much every kind of portable music device, and everything I read about the ipod seems like it fixes all the things that ticked me off about the others - storage space, reliability, efficiency of transfer, rechargeable battery, etc...

So for the past week I've been researching it and the biggest problem seems to be the battery. But I'm still confused as to whether the battery's quick discharge and dying after a few months was only a problem in earlier ones, or if it is still a problem.

Also, I read somewhere on an old thread here that there might be a new ipod coming out this month. I tried confirming it on the 'net to no avail, any info on this?

So my question is, would you buy an ipod now? Or wait? I know it's expensive (many even say overpriced) but from past experience, I've realized that it's worth it to throw in extra money for those little things that really make you feel that your purchase was worth it.
Old 01-02-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may want to check out the Dell Jukebox I have it and love it. My wife has the 10 GB iPod and she also like hers. Now I paid for the Jukebox and my wife receive the iPod free.

20 GB Dell Jukebox $299.00
Apple 20 GB iPod $399.00

Now you make the decision.

One other note. Apple iTunes is a memory hog and is very slow.
Old 01-02-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an original 5 gig ipod which is over 2 years old and have not had any problems with the battery. One must remember that all rechargeable batteries have a limited lifetime which usually hard to pin down since it varies on usage, recharges, climate, etc.

Also, for purchasing, wait until after the MacWorld convention on January 6th for possible ipod announcements. Apple's will most likely be providing a live quicktime feed if you want to watch for news. The keynote is at 9am pacific time.
Old 01-02-04, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Re: Is it worth buying an ipod NOW?

Originally posted by thismeansyou85
everything I read about the ipod seems like it fixes all the things that ticked me off about the others - storage space, reliability, efficiency of transfer, rechargeable battery, etc...
The two outstanding advantages iPod has over other portables is ease of transfer and built-in amp power. MiniDisc still holds the record for longest play time.

The Dell Jukebox is too fugly. Get the 20GB iPod instead.
Old 01-02-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kevin M. Dean
Also, for purchasing, wait until after the MacWorld convention on January 6th for possible ipod announcements. Apple's will most likely be providing a live quicktime feed if you want to watch for news. The keynote is at 9am pacific time.
If they come out with a physically smaller unit, I will be all over it. I think my iPod would be used for physical activities, and the current size just doesn't seem to warrant that. I want something a tad smaller that I can wrap around my arm.
Old 01-02-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just wasted 550 dollars on the 40gig Ipod and extended warranty about 3 hours ago.

I used to own the Nomad Zen 2.0, the regular 20gig one. It broke after 3 months and was out of warranty.

Anyway, the 20 gigs werent big enough for my music collection anyway, so I just decided to buy this ipod. Loving it so far. Very sexy piece of machinery, and I've been using Itunes for quite some time now and loving it. This is probably the only product from apple I will ever buy again lol.
Old 01-02-04, 10:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
If they come out with a physically smaller unit, I will be all over it. I think my iPod would be used for physical activities, and the current size just doesn't seem to warrant that. I want something a tad smaller that I can wrap around my arm.
Even if it's smaller, it's not for physical activities, what you need is a flash memory unit.
Old 01-03-04, 01:49 AM
Suspended

The only problem is porta potty players that use flash memory sound like shit. Try the high end MiniDisc players (Sony MZ-E10) if you want sound quality and mini in one.
Old 01-03-04, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No - never worth buying an Ipod because it's made by Apple and very overpriced.

I have the Dell 15 GB and love it so far. I got it on sale about a month ago for $199 and have loaded 1166 songs on it and still have over 10 GB left.