Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

windows 2000 professional boot problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-04, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my brother's friend gave him a computer & it worked fine when he bought it. but after running scandisk it froze & he tried to restart...but now it wont boot up & gives us this message:

Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

i tried to look for a solution on the microsoft site. but i cant find anything regarding the error. the only close enough, asked me to boot up in safe mode but i cant even do that. i cant even boot from last known start up. when i try to get to setup, it asks for a password which we don't know. i don't have any type of boot disk.

does anyone have any ideas for us?
Old 01-02-04, 01:48 PM

Sounds like the harddrive is a bit hooped. Best bet is probably to try reformatting it, & then re-install.

The password issue should be easy to fix - if you open the case, most motherboards have a jumper that will clear the CMOS for you - that will also remove the password. If you can't find the jumper, just remove the CMOS battery for a while.
Old 01-04-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you're going to need the Windows 2000 CD. From it, you can boot off the CD and run a repair in the bootup.