Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

MAC B&W ram question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MAC B&W ram question

Old 01-02-04, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAC B&W ram question

I recently got an older MAC Blue and White tower. It takes pc100 dimms, but I am wondering, does the apple motherboard act like most pc (x86) boards in taking faster ram, but utilizing it at a lower speed?

Basicly, I am wondering, can I get some pc133 ram and stick it in?

Is the MAC B&W picky about ram manufacturers?
Old 01-02-04, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It *should* work... but some models are picky. What I'd do - buy it from somewhere that'll let you try it, & return it if it doesn't work. There's places on-line (eg, Crucial comes to mind) that guarantee that their RAM will work in your system if you order RAM from them using their configuration tool to pick memory for your system.

HTH
Old 01-04-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've have a couple PC133 sticks in my B&W. No problems. Make sure the RAM you're buying is PC100 backwards-compatible. I've been seeing RAM out there that is labeled "PC133-ONLY." Unless it's specifically labeled "PC133-ONLY" it should be fine.
Old 01-05-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THere is something to watch out for. All 128 MB PC133 ram will work fine, but some of the 256MB PC133 ram will only show up as 128MB. Usually its the cheaper PC133 256MB chips that do this, something to do with how the memory on the chips are arranged. You could probably just get 4 PC100 or PC133 128MB chips and be fine and it should only cost you about 10-20 bucks a chip depending on sales and rebates.

-daveninja