Reload this Page >

task manager problem - spybot or adware related

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just bought himself a new laptop and cable internet for christmas... he promptly manages to fill it full of adware and spybot crap. After he can't get rid of it, he calls me in. I have removed a bunch of it using CWShredder, hackthis, spybot search and destroy, adaware etc.

Here's there problem. He's got XP home edition. From the beginning of my quest to get all of this crap off of there whenever I would hit ctrl alt del for the task manager it would show only one borderless window - the applications window. No border, no tabs for processes or memory or whatever else is in that window. So you can't see what processes are running. The little memory usage meter pops up in the tray, but that's it.

If I start up in safe mode, the task manager works perfectly...

Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-04, 12:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's possible he got a virus or trojan that attempts to hide itself so it disables task manager.

Either try to find another program that will show you the running processes, run a good virus check or, preferably, reformat his disk and install XP over again. He might be more careful next time.
Old 01-02-04, 12:49 AM

That's not any spyware action, it's an actual "feature" of the task manager. Double-click on the the task manager window's border to get it back to normal. He's in the minimal mode, which seems to be completely useless. I'm really not sure why they even have it as an option.
Old 01-02-04, 12:54 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's funny! I've never seen that. Why in the world would that "feature" be there?
Old 01-02-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
how do people manage to get spyware so fast?
we used to get calls all the time and the xustomer would have the computer less than a month and it would be loaded
Old 01-02-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brilk
That's not any spyware action, it's an actual "feature" of the task manager. Double-click on the the task manager window's border to get it back to normal. He's in the minimal mode, which seems to be completely useless. I'm really not sure why they even have it as an option.

That was it! Thanks. Everything seems to be working fine now.

He had Norton but for some reason he unistalled it when he set up his cable modem.

Anyway, all better.