Reload this Page >

How to make TMPGEnc hog the CPU?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-31-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my new PC setup, I am running TMPGEnc to do some DVD encoding, and the highest CPU utilization rate I get is 50%. This is on a PC running XP (P4 2.6c, 1GB RAM, Abit IC7-MAX3, and plenty of disk space - 300GB+). I've also closed down extraneous programs, etc. It's running pretty lean, but that doesn't seem to matter since it's got CPU cycles to spare running at only 50%.

On the TMPGEnc side (options -> Environmental setting), I have all the CPU boxes checked except for the Multi-processor option, and I've tried checking the box with no change in CPU utilization. For the Task Priority, I have the High priority selected for active/non-active window.

On my older PC (Celeron II 1GHz, 512MB RAM, Asus CUSL-2 MB, 100GB of disk space free) running Windows 2000, when I run TMPGEnc, it'll hog the CPU something fierce (though running at full speed, its encoding speed is at least 3 times slower than the new PC).

Last edited by Patman; 01-01-04 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-31-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think you can give the three finger salute(ctrl-alt-delete) and when the window with processes comes up you could right click on tmpg and move its priority up.
Old 01-01-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the task manager it's set to high already. Should I set it to "realtime"?
Old 01-01-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Patman
In the task manager it's set to high already. Should I set it to "realtime"?

I've never done this, but it I don't think it would hurt to try. Are you trying to decrease the amount of time it takes to render a piece of video?
Old 01-01-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you running the latest version of it?

Also (I'm not at my main PC or I would check) see if there is an option for hyper-threaded CPUS... because what you are seeing is a normal program (not written to take advantage of hyperthreading) using up all the processor it sees.

Last edited by Music; 01-01-04 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-01-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it possible that you are now limited by HD speed or something? So that you can now only encode as fast as you can read and rewrite?
Old 01-01-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I did check the "multi-processor" box and the 4 associated boxes below it, and it did hog the CPU cycles, but I couldn't discern any processing benefit in terms of time reduction for crunching through a 2 hour AVI, so I opted to uncheck the "multi-processor" box and just let it run as before.

I think I'm using version 2.53.25.
Old 01-02-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

on a related note, i've noticed that cpu usage does not match the bar graph. When I run tempgenc, i get 50% usage, but the graph shows the cpu usage at its peak. which is correct? (I am using a P4 3.0 Ghz on windows XP pro).
Old 01-02-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're using a Hyperthreading processor, TMPGEnc is probably using it all, but it's being reported to windows that the processor is only at 50% because of the "hyperthreading" aspect. I own a dual P4 with hyperthreading, and I turned it off because it actually causes a performance hit unless your applications are set up to fully utilize multiple processors (or at least I was told this is the best way to run a dedicated web server).

I would think it's actually at 100%, but is being reported at 50% for some strange reason - especially if you have the Priority set to high.
Old 01-02-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to give version 2.59 a try (it's the first version that supports hyperthreading) and report back whether or not the encode time improved or not.
Old 01-02-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Blake
If you're using a Hyperthreading processor, TMPGEnc is probably using it all, but it's being reported to windows that the processor is only at 50% because of the "hyperthreading" aspect. I own a dual P4 with hyperthreading, and I turned it off because it actually causes a performance hit unless your applications are set up to fully utilize multiple processors (or at least I was told this is the best way to run a dedicated web server).

I would think it's actually at 100%, but is being reported at 50% for some strange reason - especially if you have the Priority set to high.
Thanks. I'll try that.
how do you turn it off?
Is it in your bios? (I have the Asus P4P800)
Old 01-02-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, using v.2.59 (which allows for hyperthreading operation), I note that for any encoding done with no filters, it will hog both "threads" at 100% CPU utilization, the Task manager process graph shows both CPU Usage history running at 100%. It's pretty hard to do anything else with the PC.

HT = Hyperthreading
NR = Noise Reduction

If I use the Noise Reduction filter (Level 1), then the load on either CPU thread varies, and the CPU usage varies as TMPGEnc does some crunching for the NR filter, and it takes around 5 times longer than without any filters. I can do some other PC tasks (surf the web, etc) while the NR filter is being used to encode.

The fastest mode of encoding is CBR, Normal mode (just slightly more than the running time of the video file), with the hyperthreading mode enabled.

If I disable HT, then it takes about 10%-30% longer to encode the video file depending on other factors. Only one of the CPU thread shows a lot of activity while the other thread shows minimal activity. Task Manager shows 50% CPU usage.

Some quick-n-dirty stats:

Time (in seconds) to encode a 85 second video segment (Motion Search Precision = Normal) and no filtering:

HT enabled
CBR: 90
2-pass VBR: 179

HT disabled
CBR: 110
2-pass VBR: 207

---------

Time to encode same 85 second video segment (Motion Search Precision = Normal) and Noise Reduction filtering:

HT enabled
CBR: 430
2-pass VBRT: 850

HT disabled
CBR: 440
2-pass VBR: 940

--------

Conclusion (but hardly the last word): Hyperthreading helps if you encode without CPU intensive filtering, like Noise Reduction, but it's only around 15%-25% faster.

With NR filtering, the benefits of HT are less, around 3%-11% faster.