Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Video Capture Device recommendation?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-30-03, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there all. I have a problem. I have been through several computer upgrades and cannot get my Aver TV Studio card to capture video. Various unrelated problems at each incarnation of my machine. Current rig:
P4 2.4 GHZ 800MHZ FSB 512MB DDR 400
Win XP Pro
Asus GEForce 4 MX 440 8x AGP 128MB video card.
16x DVD Rom drive
4x DVD Burner
40GB EIDE drive
18GB SCSI drive

Anyway, can anyone reccomend a rock-solid mid to upper -range quality video capture device that will work really well for converting my 8mm home videos to MPG for burning to DVD? What are your experiences with this?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-31-03, 08:43 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chris,
I've been looking for something similar and everywhere I ask the question, I get pointed to this...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

Anyone have any thoughts on this for Chirs' needs?
Old 12-31-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, regardless of it fitting Chris's needs, I ordered one, mainly for the TV tuning portion, but I'll see if its video capture capabilities are decent enough to use for converting to DVD (m2v, ac3).
Old 12-31-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ngp
I get pointed to this...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

Anyone have any thoughts on this for Chirs' needs?

First

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=Leadtek

Second

I own this card and it works great for $46 It looks like your machine is fast enough to do the compression on the fly as well if you want to. The only downside to this card is that is does NOT have on board hardware mpeg compression
Old 01-02-04, 10:11 AM

Thanks - another question

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at those if I end up replacing my AverTV Studio card...which looks likely.

A friend of mine has a WAY weaker computer than me and uses the same card and gets no loss of quality when doing an uncompressed capture from his hi8 camcorder. When I do it, Virtual Dub reports a 10% frame loss and a throughput of only 4.5MB/s! That explains the crappy quality. What I don't know is what the reasonss could be. I close all other open programs and am capturing to a two disc 10k rpm scsi spanned volume. Anyone have any knowledge of what I can do to increase throughput? Do I possibly have a lemon of an otherwise decent card?

Also, virtual dub only lets me capture at 320x240, but every other program I have lets me capture at 640x480 (my card is capable of even higher captures.)

Any more advice would be SO appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris