Reload this Page >

Content.IE5 folder - can i delete it??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-30-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in win2k, it resides in my Temp Internet Files folder on my work computer... taking up about 3gb of space, with a bunch of other folders inside... is it safe to delete it?
Old 12-30-03, 05:01 PM
toq

You should be able to safely delete it manually but why not do one of the following instead?

- Open the "Internet Options" control panel and click "Delete Files..." in the "Temporary Internet Files". This button should accomplish most of what a manual erase would do.

- Next to the aformentioned "Delete Files..." button is a "Settings..." button. If you click on that, it should allow you to specify the maximum amount of space that should be allocated to your cache (Temporary Internet Files). I've seen recommendations ranging from 20MB to 40MB—certainly no more than 100MB, I would think.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-03, 05:09 PM

Content.IE5 is different from the standard IE cache folder. It is entirely hidden except through direct file/folder searches (at least it is in XP) and cannot be deleted without a 3rd party program unless in safe mode. You may be able to delete its contents without going into safe mode, though.

I've never understood the rationale behind it, as it acts as a massive cache directory completely immune to the cache settings in Internet Options.
Old 01-14-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just close all your browsers.. goto the content.ie5 folder and delete all the folders. As long as you don't have any browsers open then all the folders should delete (aside from some folders that may NEVER delete) but they will only have like 1 file in them that is undeleteable usually. I clean this every week to save harddrive space and never had any problem. Don't think you can delete the index.dat with the comp running though.