Reload this Page >

Apple iPod question!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Apple iPod question!

Old 12-29-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple iPod question!

Ok, my wife received a 10GB iPod for X-Mass. Now all 300 of my CD's are ripped to MP3 format and what would be the difference if any if I canged to apples AAC format?

Last edited by TheKobra; 12-29-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically better quality at the same bit rate or you could reduce your bit rate to maintain about the same quality but take up less space on your drive.
Old 12-29-03, 07:28 PM
Suspended

... Wait, did you rip the 300 CDs to MP3 before or after you got the iPod? For best quality, it's suggested that you install iTunes (Mac or PC), rip in 128bit AAC format and simply sync the tracks from your system to the iPod. Converting one compression format to another will lower the track quality, no matter what bitrate you'll convert it to.
Old 12-31-03, 02:34 PM

I would stay with mp3 unless you wanted to rerip all your cd's. As FuzzyBallz, do not transcode. If you get new cd's, then you can use AAC.
Old 12-31-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
... Wait, did you rip the 300 CDs to MP3 before or after you got the iPod? For best quality, it's suggested that you install iTunes (Mac or PC), rip in 128bit AAC format and simply sync the tracks from your system to the iPod. Converting one compression format to another will lower the track quality, no matter what bitrate you'll convert it to.
I ripped all my cd's at 192kbs directly from the cd prior to getting the iPod.
Old 12-31-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheKobra
I ripped all my cd's at 192kbs directly from the cd prior to getting the iPod.
Considering this, I would just leave those existing tracks alone as the iPod holds no distinction between MP3 and AAC. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone rerip 300 CD's. I'd just rip my new additions etc. in AAC format for the added sound quality and to save a bit on the file size.
Old 12-31-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, would a 128 kbs AAC sound better then 192 kbs MP3?
Old 12-31-03, 07:42 PM
Banned

128 AAC might sound better than 192 MP3, but it's questionable. 192 is around the "transparency" point for LAME MP3 encoded files, meaning that you generally can't much tell the difference between that and the source audio. 128 isn't really "transparent", although it's not far off. 160 AAC is pretty much the transparent mark so far, although it may improve as the encoders get better.

However, converting the MP3's into AAC is never a good idea. Reripping is a good idea, except that it's time consuming. I wouldn't rerip for such a small gain, unless my iPod was almost full.

As is, I switched to AAC for new rips, and if/when I fill the iPod, I may begin to rerip for the space savings.